Desktop makes grinding noise upon cold boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

My desktop has been making this odd grinding noise for the past 2 weeks. Not every day but sometimes every other day.

It only happens upon cold boot , or sometimes when restarting. I never hear the grinding noise while the computer is just on or doing other tasks.

I opened it up to see if anything was loose but it doesn't seem this is the case.

Since i don't have some sort of meter tester for my PSU, is there any other way to test it to see if its dieing?

I had this computer for 3 years now, and while i had generic stock PSU last me longer than this i wouldn't at all be surprised if it fails now.

If its not the PSU unit what else could it be? my hard drives test good, and besides i assumed when hard drives started dieing they mde clicking noises rather than grinding.

The Grinding noise sounds like a car is burning tire, except in this case it sounds like something is being scraped upon turning on my pc.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It could be a worn bushing in one of the fans causing the blades to scrape against the case until it's up to speed. As far as hard drives, I used to maintain a Macintosh lab and whenever the hard drives were being accessed there was a scraping noise from all 10 of the Mac SEs, especially on startup but none of the hard drives showed any signs of failure in the two years I maintained that lab. If the scraping noise was from your hard drive now though, you wouldn't be able to boot up. Modern drives spin faster and have tighter tolerances. You'd probably have head contact with the platter.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I couldn't find anything scraping against the case and i only have 1 large fan for the cpu.

I think things are getting worse and its probably my psu
    My audio jacks have this white noise, or small static on them now, both the front panel and the back ones on the motherboard.

Its not my earphones or usb speakers, as i tried different ones too

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds