Desktop or Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Hi Majorgeeks! I'm thinking about upgrading my current desktop for some better parts. Then I thought, should I just get a laptop? I made a pros and cons list for getting a laptop.

Pros: Portability

Cons: Battery issues, costs more, less performance, can't fix

It's kind of short as you can see. The only thing I see good out of a laptop is being able to take it wherever with ease. When I say battery issues, i mean not being able to use it because it's dead, and I've heard leaving the cord plugged in while you're running it ruins the battery life. If I got a laptop I would be paying more than if I would by upgrading. That being said, I know if i upgrade my desktop, it would perform better for cheaper than a laptop. Then if anything went wrong internallly, i'd have to pay to get it fixed rather than fixing it myself. You're probably thinking why i'm asking you if the cons outweigh the pros, but i thought I should get some opinions.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Some quotes from various MG threads that may help you make up your mind. ;)

My note: Make sure you do WEI's on all your possible choices (both laptop and desktop). You may be surprised at the stats. Laptops have really come down in price, and improved in performance, in the last 12 months.

I've been using laptops for many years, in preference to desktops, though I still have both. My first true "laptop" was an EPSON PCAX3/33 (yes EPSON) going back to 1992. I did own a Tandy 4P (circa 1986) but that was like a portable sewing machine, still with the cover attached, ;) (hardly a laptop, but portable). :-D

Make sure you read MA's tutorial (first link above).

Bazza

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Its a question for yourself really as you say:) Running a laptop with the cord plugged in doesn't ruin battery,once the battery is charged all of the power is drawn from the power cord.As for the battery being dead when you want to use it it really isn't a problem unless you will be using your computer away from home or work 'all day.'

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My vote is a laptop because I am a lazy SOB and would rather lounge on my couch than sit at a desk. But I don't do gaming so if that is an issue, you might want to upgrade the desktop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds