Desktop PC boots but nothing happens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Komodo25, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Komodo25

Komodo25 Private First Class

Hey

We had a power surge yesterday and now the computer wont display anything. There isnt any beeps. its an onboard videocard. Win XP pro. Ive reseated everything. ram etc. I just turn it on and nothing happens. I hear the dvd rom drive but dont hear anyhting from the HD. Would this be a HD issue or a motherboard?

Thanks

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You should get a BIOS or manufacturer splash screen even with a bad HD.

Try two things.

1) Remove all RAM and try to start and see if you get any beep from the motherboard.

2) With RAM installed, reset the CMOS by unplugging electric and removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two. Put the battery back in and plug in and see if it will start.

[​IMG]

3. Komodo25

Komodo25 Private First Class

I took the RAM out and there still isnt any beeps.
    Motherboard then??

I've cleared the CMOS already

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Power supply. You don't happen to have a spare available to swap, do you? It's much easier to replace the PSU than the mobo, and with the power surge...

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure every motherboard will beep with no RAM but I may be wrong on that. So no beep could indicate a problem with the motherboard.

Just to rule out your monitor--do you get something like "no signal" on the monitor when you have it plugged in to AC but have the video cable disconnected from the PC?

You could try booting with both the CDROM and HD disconnected in case they were causing a problem. I think you would still get a BIOS screen even if they were damaged but it couldn't hurt.

That is really all I can think of so I hope someone else might have some advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds