Desktop performance for windows aero

Discussion in 'Software' started by norwayn00b, Jun 24, 2009.

1. norwayn00b

norwayn00b Private E-2

Hey folks.

I bought myself a new laptop in January that runs Vista, and all in all I'm pretty pleased with it. Only problem is the "Experience Index" or whatever it's called in english. :) All my results are from 4.6 and up, but the "desktop performance for windows aero" pulls it all down to 3.5. So I just wondered if there's anything that can be done to improve this score and the overall performance of my comp when I'm gaming a bit. :)

norwayn00b

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What make and model laptop do you have?

Sadly for laptops the onboard graphics that they have are not in the same league as their desktop cousins can have, size restrictions in the main, so the WEI scores tend to be lower as they don't have the power of desktop graphic cards.

Downside is as they are built in it's not easy to upgrade. But 3.5 for onboard graphics is good, just not great for latest high end games.

3. norwayn00b

norwayn00b Private E-2

It's an Acer Aspire 6930. I was aware I wouldn't get the same performance as from a stationary, but kinda reliant on a portable computer. Guess I'll have to get a stationary when the economy will let me. :)

Luckily I'm not a guy that thinks good graphics = good games. But a few titles I've run have been a bit choppy even if my system specs are more than enough to run them. Dunno where I got the idea, but thought one could do something in windows to up the performance score for the aero thingamajig.
    But no worries, I'll manage. :)

4. DavidGP

Hi

You could do a bit of housekeeping on your PC and more so check your startup list of applications (get a good idea how many their are by how many icons in your system tray) as the more apps running the less system resources for other apps like games.

If the games are not internet dependent, then turn off your Antivirus and Firewall (if installed) to give you more resources.

Get the latest driver for your laptops graphic card, but sadly your WEI score is unlikely to go up and TBH its not a great measure of performance, rough estimate. Could try this tip HERE

5. norwayn00b

norwayn00b Private E-2

Way ahead of you. ;) I run a "housekeeping" once or twice a month depending on my activity on the machine. And the glass look was one of the first things that went away, along with the sidebar. :)

Thanks for your time and the tips anyway. Have a good summer!

norwayn00b

6. DavidGP

Cool on way ahead of me and you seem to have the PC stuff and maintenence sorted, sadly nothing much you can do to increase performance of an onboard card as not easy to change.

Have great summer yourself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds