Desktop powers off after start - fans running fast

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snickerdoodle, Feb 2, 2013.

1. snickerdoodle

snickerdoodle Private E-2

Hi:

I have an e-machines (Gateway) T6410 desktop 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64, running Windows XP SP3. A few days ago I was browsing online when the fans started to quickly, but incrementally, speed up. As I heard that happen I tried to quickly shut down my e-mail and browser (Firefox) but before I could accomplish that, it shut off. I waited awhile and tried to boot it up (thinking it may have overheated) and before I could log in under my user account the fans started increasing in speed so I tried again to shut it down, but it didn't quite get there before it shut off again.

After reading the forums with people with similar problems, I tried to boot into safe mode to be SURE this wasnt actually malware, but now it doesn't want to power on - it makes a whirring sound (reminds me of trying to start a car when the battery is dying) and then does nothing.

History: The power button did the same thing about 2 months ago (with NO history of shutting off or overheating, kinda like it just was getting worn out all of a sudden), and then after one or two successful times booting, it would no more. BIL was here for Thanksgiving, he's an IT guy and actively pursuing further master's level IT classes etc (so I am assuming fair knowledge of all things computers), so he took a look at it, confirmed my suspicion (thanks to reading here) of it being the PSU, "borrowed" the PSU from another computer we werent really using since daughter #2 went to college, and took the memory card from that computer and installed it as well while he was at it (unfortunately, I was driving daughter back to college from holiday break when BIL did it so I wasn't here to learn to identify what is what - hubby was, but is not home until tomorrow evening). The machine was running fine (or so it seemed) with the newly installed PSU and memory card - until three days ago when the fans started to do their thing.

I have been pretty good about reading about maintenance and set up of computers on MG since you helped me recover from malware issues for this computer years ago, and I have learned ALOT, but am still a newbie for sure around things like hardware (not as much about what it does, but what it looks like and where it is physically located). This computer has been maintained fairly well thanks to MG, so I dont THINK it is dust build up (cleaned of course while open), etc., but will take a whack at that again just in case. We had the jacket off for a few days when the PSU was installed from the other computer (jacket doesnt fit quite as well now anyway) but the fans all look to be running well last I could see them. Don't know about the thermal heat paste that I have seen mentioned, or where to get that, but I am assuming that is a possibility. I am concerned now:

1) that the "new" PSU may not be compatible (dont know how to figure that out being I am not sure what it actually looks like and where to find that info - dont see it on my Belarc audit?)

2) if we need to replace it, what I would need (specs)

3) If there is another problem causing the PSU to fail, or is it that the first one was old and tired, and the "newer" one was not up to the job?

4) a recommendation for where to buy this

5) Have read about the "Rosewill RCW-608 USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA Device (Include Protection case)" that someone recommended on MG as a tool to remove some of the info that I didnt get a chance to backup (much was, but some recently downloaded music and precious photos were not) IF you think this thing is not able to be saved (or worth saving - it is almost ten years old but I am really not in a position to spend alot right now: TWO tuitions to cover and a downslide in economy - we are both in sales type positions - has affected us in a VERY strong way).

I appreciate your help and input. I hope this isnt TMI, but wanted to rule out what we did/didn't do; can provide further info about the computer if necessary (thank goodness for Belarc).

2. snickerdoodle

Well, it has been the blind leading the blind since I posted, and has taken longer than it would have with some guidance, but I tried to find photos of what the various parts are in the tower, and when hubby could be home to help (he is NOT computer knowledgeable, but does now how to identify some of the components better than I do) we were able to determine that the heat sink was loose. Don't know if it happened when my BIL helped replace the PSU or if it just vibrated loose with time? Gently cleaned a bit of dust on the thermal paste and after quite a bit of time figuring out how to rehouse it (not at all like the one in the photo I found that was supposed to be installed in my emachine) we got it situated and it restarted just fine.

I was unable to determine the wattage on the original psu for my machine, had hoped for some input about how to find that information, but it seems okay right now. We have a 250 watt unit subbing at the moment.

If someone has the time perhaps they could still answer questions 4 and 5 from my original post? I am assuming that most MG readers/supporters purchase their components online? Just in case we need to still get another PSU or have any further difficulties (particularly due to the age of my computer).

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

An OEM power supply is usually a very cheap one - often only 200-300 watts.

I would get about a 400-450 watt quality one. If you have a Fry's or MicroCenter nearby, they usually have decent pricing. If not, look for ones with good user reviews on Amazon or NewEgg.com.

The Rosewill device is a nice thing to have on hand if you ever have to transfer data from the hard drive on a crashed PC. It's available at NewEgg.com.

Hope this helps. :)

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Watts isn't the only consideration; the physical size of the power supply has to be taken into account. You rarely buy a PSU off the shelf and get it to fit in an eMachine, Gateway, Acer (all the same company).
    You need to measure the length, width and height of the unit currently installed before you shop.

6. snickerdoodle

Thanks plodr and gman....

I did read your responses fairly promptly, but just haven't had time to get back on here after a quite hectic family situation, but wanted to thank you for your assistance. I did get the Rosewill device just in case my poor tired computer gives up the ghost before I find myself ready financially to replace it, which will also prove useful for the laptop my daughter had for one whole year before the motherboard quit (assistance from MG in figuring out what happened there too!) so i hope to get my moneys worth out of it.

I am still using the subbed PSU and it seems to be running fine (bookmarked one recommended for my emachine just in case), and am trying to weigh the usefulness of investing in a 400w psu and some memory (i only added a 128 card since the purchase, so could potentially more than double it's current 640MB with two 1GB cards). May sound crazy but I prefer my XP to the windows 7 on our DDs laptop and am not in a hurry to replace it for that reason alone (not to mention the learning curve i keep hearing about for W8).

Thanks again for your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds