desktop wont load

Discussion in 'Software' started by shona75, Mar 8, 2008.

1. shona75

shona75 Private E-2

hi i was wondering if anyone can help me i had 2 viruses worms infact and avg picked them up a removed them now my desktop and start menu wont load its just my windows wall paper the icons and the start bar come on the go off very quickly again i an only access things through task manager i have tried to do a system restore but it will only let me go back to when this happened im not sure why i have done all the scans in normal and safe mode and tried a lot of other stuf people have said and still nothing just as you think its loading it goes off again and its got me stumped,so if any one has any ideas i would be greatful.im on windows xp

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Try this for starters:

1. Boot to your desktop​
    2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL
    3. In Task manager click the New Task button on the General tab​
    4. In the New Task dialogue box type: 'explorer.exe' (without the quotes). Press OK​
    5. The Windows desktop should now appear​

3. shona75

shona75 Private E-2

when i do that the desktop flashes on for a few seconds then just goes back off again

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Perhaps a short trip to the malware section and doing the:
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

6. shona75

shona75 Private E-2

tried all that still wont work desktop flashes on and off a few times then just stays off with only background showing

7. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Did avg quarantine the malware it found? If so, you may be able to temporarily restore the malware (if it's not destructive or otherwise too obnoxious to live with for a short time), then go to the malware forum here, describe both the removal, problems after the removal, and the restore and ask how to proceed next to get rid of the malware and yet keep Windows working normally.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please confirm you followed the Read and Run Me First link that TimW gave in the post below. If you did then start a new thread in the Malware Forum and post up the logs requested so that an Authorized Malware Fighter can take a look for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds