Desperate for help Computer problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trick420, Jun 25, 2005.

1. trick420

trick420 Private E-2

Hello , I current have the Hp pavilion 7965, comes with a p4 1800hz. 512 Sd-ddr ram. I have had this computer for 2 years or so. And finally i decided to seek out help. My problem has exsisted sincei bought the computer and many experts tell me this computer should run the games i have problems with perfectly.

Equiped:
    512 Sd-ddr ram
    256 Pci Radeon Card <- tried agp to but still same problem so not the pci fault
    p4 1800hz
    120 refreshrate monitor
    < Reformated , spyware cleaned , virus cheked , >
    HAVE DONE EVERYTHING.

The main game i have problems with is the OLD Half-life 1 engine Counter strike 1.6 I tried other forums but people cant give me a answer.

The Problem :

While playing counter strike. I can start off with 100 fps. Staring at a wall. As soon as players come into sight. Gun fire starts. My fps can drop to 30-40 and stay steady there untill the action ends. < My old old computer could atleast keep a 50 fps constant>

I have recently heard power supply for older computers is a big issue and just dropped 120 $ on a Antec power supply 430 watts hooked it up and everything and it didnt help AT ALL ! im really desperate and i will offer as much money for a reward if someone can fix this problem. I dont have the cash to buy a new computer. Nor see the reason why i should have to.

Please help me.

2. russian master

russian master Private First Class

whoa there..first of all...RETURN THAT PSU QUICKLY...thats ridiculous...120 dollars...i can get 3 better psus for that much.....go to www.tigerdirect.com, and look at power supplies..you can get an ultra xconnect 500w modular psu...for 40 bucks...come on man...what type of monitor do you have...120 seems a bit high for a refresh rate...mine is half that.that type of mobo?...try going into safe mode, using drivercleanerpro (google it, its free and good)...erase all your ati drivers...and then go into normal mode, and dl the latest driver. Make sure you have the latest drivers for everything. Also..what were the specs of your older comp that could run the game fine?

3. encrypt

encrypt Private E-2

heat could be your problem. my brother has a dell with a p4 2.0 processor, and dont have any problems with 1.6...he's never upgraded any parts in his computer, other than ram, but thats it. hIs temps are fine, and he can even run wow on high rez and only lag in IF (iron forge). since your parts are similar, i really think its heat. try getting some good fans, or even a good cpu cooler.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556014034.html

i bought those fans, and i love them. there really cheap, and they work. 4000 rpm's and they really move alot of air.

that site also has some nice cpu coolers. i would try these things 1st concidering there alot cheaper than getting a new computer.

p.s. where did you buy that psu from. they gipped you bad :x

SAN ANTONIO SPURS 2005 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Since your vid card is PCI then it must be very low end,256mb doesnt help it if poor performance vid card, so the core cant handle that much crap going on. Just a guess.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

6. russian master

russian master Private First Class

dunno what ur talking about...get ur facts straite b/w ultra and antec

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds