Desperate for Help with Internet - Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shezz, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Shezz

Shezz Private E-2

I am so frustrated with this that I have been in tears this morning.

I have been having some trouble for a while with my laptop and the internet. What happens mainly is that often I will type in a url and it wont open, it will come up in google like a wrong search saying the site doesn't exist. Yet when I go onto my other computer the site opens fine.

It does this all the time.

No, I'm also getting error messages sometimes when I try to open a page it brings up a popup saying internet explorer cannot access the page and then when I close the popup it just takes me to the internet explorer cannot open page.

I have AVG anti virus and Anti spyware and neither of them are picking anything up. (I have the free versions).

I have also taken everything off my laptop and restored it back to factory settings - still didn't make any difference.

So now I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.

I considered purchasing Nortons but I'm concerned that I might pay the money and it wont find anything. I did an online Nortons scan which was all clear but I'm not sure that it scanned the whole computer.

Someone please help :cry

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While a factory reset should have ruled out any malware to be on the safe side and to rule out malware as the cause, we would need you to complete the below and post a new thread in the Malware Forum, with all the logs attached.

Personally do not waste your money just yet on purchasing a retail product as Norton as you rightly said it may find nothing!

Please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Once finished please start a new thread in the Malware Forum plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

Also what other security software do you have installed on your PC, Firewall, Popup Blockers, other AntiSpyware etc?

What windows version are you using and is it fully upto date, with all service packs and updates?

Which Browser are you using and have you say tried Firefox to see if the same issues with non loading sites happen in that browser ( or vice versa if you use Firefox, run IE )?

If using wireless connection for internet on your laptop, how close are you to the router and how good is the signal? try plugging the laptop into the router via an ethernet cable to test its not the wireless signal too weak.

3. the_g_bomb

the_g_bomb Private E-2

Sounds like DNS Servers are either not listed or are not being contacted. Usually your router should give you DNS Server IP addresses if you are using DHCP, but if you have a fixed address then you might have to put them in yourself.

What OS are you using and what kind of router do you have? I could tell you how to find out whether you getting DNS details.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds