Destination Warning

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kelly2112, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Kelly2112

Kelly2112 Private E-2

I added a second hard drive for additional storage on an XP Pro machine. I'm now getting a random error message popping up about every 30 minutes or so that reads: Destination Warning. Job cannot run because of not original destination. I haven't moved any programs to the new drive, only my documents, pictures, and music. This message comes up just sitting at the desktop without attempting to launch any programs, and there's no indication of what program is sending the error. I ran Norton 360's registry cleanup but it didn't fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just so I know what level Service Pack we are dealing with in XP, what is it you have RTM, SP1, SP2 or SP3?

Destination Warning is generally when a automated task cannot find the location it ised before, so what applications do you have that may be running automated tasks, it couls be Norton, it could be a defrag app or a backup app.

Even if you have no running apps at the time, many start with your PC so could cause this, without you knowing, so to that end and this is troubleshooting only is to click Start > Run and type msconfig and click the Startup tab and disable (untick) everything and reboot (do be disconnected from the internet for this) and see if the message appears, if not then enable one item at a time until you get that message and thats your culprit, and do tell us what it is and we can try and find a fix.

If you boot to safe mode (F8 at boot) do you get the same error message after 30mins?

3. Kelly2112

Kelly2112 Private E-2

Hi Halo. It's SP3. Also, I noticed I got the error message the very first time I booted the machine after installing the second drive. I hadn't moved any files.
    I will try your suggestion and see if I can find the culprit. Thanks a bunch!

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

What do you mean by

'only moved...my documents...' ?

Have you relocated the Mydocuments folder?

5. Kelly2112

Kelly2112 Private E-2

Yes, I did move the MyDocuments, MyPictures, and MyMusic files, as they were taking up sooo much space and the user is only ever going to add more, not clean out.
    Did I create my own headache by doing so?
    I'm one of those people who knows enough to be dangerous. ;o)

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you originally change the folder property paths to the My Docs folders to the new drive?

Try this for the My Document files http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147 and see if that helps, if not try setting them back to default location and see if that clears the message up, possability is a backup or an application that want so save to the My Docs folders and cannot.

7. Kelly2112

Kelly2112 Private E-2

Hi Halo,
    Yes, I did change the folder path for My Docs to the new drive - that wasn't it.
    Checking the startup items using MS Config found the culprit - backup software that came with an external hard drive.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds