Determining burner s/w for newer drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillMS, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BillMS

BillMS Private E-2

Hi,

Forum newbie here, and first post here too - so please be gentle. :)

First off, I'm confused from reading (probably) too much stuff.

I'm adding a couple newer (not new models however) to couple systems. Systems are pretty much Win98se (tho will dual boot with W2K sometimes). Systems are dinosaurs (by today's 'standards'). 500-900mhz, ~300MB, HDs in the range of 5 to 30GB.

The first I tried was an LG GCC 4521B (about 2/04). System sees the CD OK, but does not recognize it as a burner. Tried Adpatec 4.02 and SpeedyCD (Microsolutions s/w that works fine on even older equipment). I use Adaptec 4.02 on my really old Compaq DeskPro (233mhz, Win95b) with a Plextor CD burner. Worked fine for years. That old fella is on its way out -- sob.

I was told (by someone on the Compuserve Hardware forum) that it is the software that needs to detect the newer drives. (I had asked a question about 'where do I get the drivers' for newer CD/DVD drives.) And, that the various manufacturers would tell you what software is needed to detect their drives. So far, I have been totally unable to find such information available.

Before I posted this message I did look thru the FAQs here, and did some message searching. Learned a lot, but too much to try on systems until I understand more. That's the reason for this message.

I also have a brand 'new' (just got from Newegg) NEC ND 3550A all-purpose CD/DVD burner. However, I gather even this drive model is over a year old. I have not tried that at all, pending getting more software info and understanding.

My primary desktop, now, is a somewhat newer (than the Win95 one) Compaq Deskpro EN (little SFF model); Celeron 850mhz, 384MB, 20GB HD running Win98se (and dual with W2K sometimes - I'm trying to like, and switch, to W2K eventually). It's this system on which I'd like to replace its internal CD reader with the NEC 3550, so as to burn CDs and DVDs (data only, not audio etc).

Right now, I burn CDs on an external Microsolutions 'Backpack' writer (doggone I wish they hadn't gone out of business, love their stuff). I use their SpeedyCD to burn and copy CDs. I tried Adaptec 4.02, but it kept crashing.

I hope I didn't give *too much* info here. I saw where it's recommended to give as much as possible. I'll learn -- whatever.

Now, after all this; my question is about how to find what software these manufacturers suggest/recommend for their drives. And any suggestions folks here have.

I did just download CDburnerXP (it seems to do Win9x, even tho it says 'XP'), since that seemed to be a good choice mentioned here. Have not tried it yet.

And, I'm totally lost/confused about the ASPI level thing. On my older systems (I also have a number of older laptops) I've just never had any trouble burning CDs (never done DVDs yet) without worrying about ASPI.

Thanks a bunch for pouring thru all this, and hope you all see my problems with understanding this area.

Bill

2. BillMS

BillMS Private E-2

Just some updates to my post. Might help others.

I installed Nero OEM Suite (which is version 6.3.x) -- after uninstalling Adaptec 4.02. Nero saw all three of the 'newer' drives I tried, even the DVD capable NEC ND 3550.

I did try to install CDburnerXP, but got a confusing (to me) message which halted the install cold. Something about 'couldn't find INSTMSIA.EXE'. I researched that, now know it has to do with 'Windows software Install'.

Whatever that is. In all the many, many software installs I've done I have *never* seen that message. Confusing.

[I did get that msi file, and may try it to install CDburnerXP on an experimental system someday.]

Bill

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds