device cannot start code 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vvgomez, Oct 6, 2012.

1. vvgomez

vvgomez Private First Class

Hello,
    I am running under Window XP and the graphic card start to fail. I ran superantispyware and detected Antrology.exe as threat and deleted it. All looked good but after rebooting the graphic didn't work at all.

In the device manager shows the device cannot start code 10.
    I updated the driver
    Unistalled and Installed again
    ... and nothing

Restore to a before date... nothing

Then I notice another error: an unknown device with device instnace id:
    ROOT\LEGACY_NPF\000

The graphic card is NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400 GS

so I wonder if the device is dead or if it is possible that a virus or the aftermath of a virus is creating the problem.

Any help I will appreciate it

Thank you

vv

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Well since you suspect a virus and you have found one ' I cannot find any information about that virus or it's effects check your spelling' I would suggest you fully follow the malware read and run in the malware forum and then move onto the windows XP cleaning procedure.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

Uninstall the driver in control panel,restart your computer.

Download and install this driver,it's the driver you should have installed so check this version with the driver you've previously tried to install,even if they match download and install it anyway.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/48779

3. vvgomez

Thank you for your quick response. I'll do my homework and I'll go back to you with logs and results.

Thank you again,

vv

4. vvgomez

Hello Rikky,

I did the cleaning procedure and attached logs. Notice that I had some difficulties with HitmanPro because my graphic card is not working, so I could scan but couldn't get the log link. I attached a screen capture instead.
    I also attached a screen capture of the device manager.

Unfortunatelly I couldn't fix the problem after the cleaning and uninstalling the driver. When I was going to install the one you recomended I notice that this is not for the series 8400 GS. Could you confirm me if you want me to install it anyway?

Thank you for your time and help,

vv

Attached Files:

5. Rikky

You need to post your logs in the malware forum.

Start a new thread with a short description of your problem include the information in your opening post regarding the virus antrology.exe and ROOT\LEGACY_NPF\000
    and your symptoms. They will probably not read this thread so start from the beginning and write your thread as if they know nothing. Attach the logs as per instructions and most importantly be patient they will get to you:)

Yes it is the correct driver,the driver is the same for all video cards running on windows XP.

If your still unsure go to nvidia's driver search

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Enter geforce,8 series,8400gs,windows xp,english and you should be directed to the same driver which is this one.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp-306.81-whql-driver-uk.html

Nvidia drivers are pretty install friendly anyway, if the driver isn't compatible with your hardware it won't let you install it.

When your clean we'll continue this thread if the malware guys don't completely solve your problem.:)

6. Rikky

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  7. vvgomez

Oh I see, so I'll start a new log in the right forum and then (hopefully don't ) go back to you.

yes I tried everything to get hitman tabs on screen, the problem with the resolution is it just the graphic card that doesn't work so I am screw there... at least I could scan it guessing with the tab key :)

I'll keep the driver's link to run them after the malaware forum instructions.

Thank you again,

vv

8. Rikky

They may not need the hitman pro log but if they do they could have a work around, if not you could try installing the driver but I'll leave it up to them.

It's no problem hopefully you'll be fixed up soon:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds