Device driver has caused a stop error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RowdeyRebel, Dec 12, 2007.

1. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel Private E-2

Ok guys and gals, I'm usually pretty good at keeping this thing running , but this one is bugging me . Xp home---I noticed the system fan running all the time latley . Then one day I went to myspace on a page with alot of graphics and it just rebooted the whole system . I did the usuall checks for viruses and trogens and came up empty with several different sources. Then when the computer rebooted again , the error checking window came up , so I clicked on send error. That popped up a microsoft window that said a device driver has cause a stop error. It gave no precise error, but also mentioned a blue screen , which I never get . So I did some more checking ---High graphics definetly cause a reboot, problem is if I catch it during reboot and select safe mode with networking , I can go to any page I want ( high graps or not and run all day , with the system fan only comming on when needed , but if I reboot to a normal startup the system fan run almost continuosley and will reboot if I dare to try any page with alot of stuff moving around . Doesn't make sence . My system is a compac SR1230nr and has a Via/SG3 vid driver that I have updated from HP. I also have noticed that the system fan will randomley come on for a while when Idle and run longer than usual also . When I check for whats making it run in the task manager it only shows the system Idle Process running at 4% cpu usage---so here I sit at a dead end ---any Ideas?:cry

2. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

If the Idle Process is at 4% that means your CPU usage is 96%...

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you saw idle at 4%, what process appears to be using your CPU? That the first process you want to see if you can end.
    Also the fan is probably coming on because of all the heat generated by the CPU operating at 96%. Cut down the CPU usage and the fan won't run as often or at full tilt to try and keep the system cool.

4. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel Private E-2

Well guys, thanks for hitting on the last line of my post , but on that issue , if you noticed what I wrote: (When I check for whats making it run in the task manager it only shows the system Idle Process running at 4% cpu usage.) which means there is nothing else running for me to cut back on . And yes I understand that if the system idle process shows 4% , that the cpu is at 96% ------just can't figure out WHY !;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you do control+alt+del and select Task Manager then the processes tab What process is using all the CPU power?

6. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Boot into Save Mode with Networking... go to...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Run a full and complete System Scan. When you reboot after the scan.. check your CPU usage CTRL, ALT, Delete.. Task Manager - Performance Tab.. what are you at now? If it's high click on the Processes Tab.. sort processes by CPU usage. Kill what ever is eating those 96% worth of cycles if you can find it! Run the scan again if needed, disable system restore and backup all your important files! Ensure you run an anti virus on those files if your forced to reinstall or use the restore disk.

From what you've said it sounds like possible malware or a virus/worm. A lot of virus' will hide themselves from the Task Manager so you can't kill them off as a normal process.

When you start in Safe Mode your starting with only the very bare essentials needed to start the machine. When in Safe Mode you could check your startup file by clicking on Start - Run - type without quotes "msconfig" click on the Startup Tab.. Anything starting that looks weird? Be careful virus scanners, messengers and windows system files can look weird.. lookup the files meaning on a search engine if in any doubt.

Run that scan and if successful uninstall or replace (don't run two virus scanners at the same time) your anti virus scanner with another. If you uninstall - reboot and reinstall your scanner.. ensure it's up to date. You can get a free virus scanner from AVG here! Easy to setup, light on the system and auto updates and scans!

Good Luck! :major

7. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Another thing to try if your 100% sure your system isn't compromised... and I'm assuming your not overclocking anything.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.. click on the Hardware Tab.. Device Manager button.. Click the + beside your display adapter (if your sure that created the stop error) double click on your display adapter icon and select driver tab. Look to the lower part of this window you'll notice Roll Back Driver.. use it! Follow through and reboot when it's complete.

As always if your sure this is a heat related problem and it sounds like it.. take side off your case and sit it close to an A/C or fan. Get some air inside the case see if you still reboot after looking at My Space! While the side is off have a look in and ensure all fans are running including the Graphcs fan, northbridge fan if present and of course the CPU fan. Check fan/heat settings within the BIOS ensure everything is set at the proper levels!

Does your machine make any weird sounds? grinding sounds from the fans? you installed any new hardware/software recently? anything else out of the ordinary you can think of? I know this sounds stupid but check to ensure all fans are connected the the motherboard/cpu properly and none have worked their way out.

I'm just throwing things out here as I can be sat at or remotely connected to your machine to figure out exactly what the problem is. I hope something here helps or nudges you in the right direction.

Good Luck!!!

8. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel Private E-2

Yes , all of those are good nudges----unfortunatley ----been there and done that tho. Big snag with the heat theorey tho . I can boot up into safe mode with networking and run all day ,week , month ----without a reboot. Seems if it was a heat problem , it would reboot if it was in safe mode or not , once it got hot . I have rolled back the driver and even went as far as going to HP , and finding the original drivers for this system and reinstalling them . Its like right now---this very moment , I have a dual operating system loaded in my puter ----both are the same , just one is a backup in case this one got outta hand. I have not had any problems with it doing this ( the secondary )untill I actually got tired of the primary os and ran the secondary most of the time, and started getting the windows updates from microsoft. Now every once in a while it will reboot , and show me the same stop error page from microsoft stateing that a device driver has caused it. But ----I am curious------could there be another device other than my video drivers, thats causeing this? . My fans are all operating in good condition with no unusual noises , hard drives are not growling or ratteling . I have even done benchmark tests on all of my devices . I am not one to just swap out and run ---I like to find the cause of things , but --------this is PI#$ing me off a bit . -----thanks for the input tho --------------------------------------still looking :major

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds