"device usage" not working for legacy audio driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shakeabeat, Oct 14, 2008.

1. shakeabeat

shakeabeat Private E-2

I thought I had a virus; on my desktop I had a window stuck to my background which I could not change that said "Warning adware/win32 virtimune" and "warning! adware/win32 malicious virus blah blah" or something like that. I used spy bot, spy sweet, ad-ware se, and highjackthis, and the latest mcaffee. It got rid of it. but, my problem that still remains is that my computer doesn't play any sounds, i've checked all settings, its good. I went to device manager, and when i click on my audio device, properties, under troubleshoot should be device usage options, however it is not working. the tab to choose to enable or disable is shaded, and you pass the mouse over it and you can't click anything. Its also like this for almost everything under "sound, video and game controllers" - audio codec, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture drivers, and media control devices, and video codecs. Also, my computer likes to restart itself after 2 minutes of inactivity even though I have all my power settings on 'never'. Please help me. Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It was probably Virtumonde. You probably still have some nasty things on your computer.
    Go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    and go through everything in the Read and Run guide. You post your logs, after reading how they should be done in the Malware section.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

After the malware fighters have declared your computer clean, if you still have problems, continue in this thread with a link to the malware thread so we can see that the computer is clean and someone will help you to get everything working properly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds