Devices recognise router but can't find internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dybek, May 4, 2013.

1. dybek

dybek Private E-2

Can anyone help?

My wired and wireless devices can all find my home network - but the router can't connect to the internet...

This all happened after infection by some ransomware (which I finally cured by rolling back to a restore point a few days old) - but I can't see the connection between this and the router...

I've tried a different ADSL filter - same problem... ISP tech support were no help...

Does anyone have any ideas? Could the infection have somehow damaged the router firmware? And if so, how can I fix it?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Short answer: No.

Did you unplug the router for 5 minutes? Could your ISP connect to your router? I am assuming you have a cable company provided router in this case. Because sometimes you have a hardware failure when you least expect it to happen and if they can't connect then that's a possibility which is exactly what you mentioned.

We need to look at the router if no devices can connect to it.

Can you access the internet directly or is this an all in one router from your provider?

3. dybek

dybek Private E-2

Thanks Major.

I can't connect directly and yes... this is a ISP-provided router (via phone line rather than cable tho)

The weird thing is that Vista diagnosis tool says it can confirm the primary DNS is working... but can't respond... some kind of remote authentication issue?

And yes... I've been turning the router off and on for various lengths of time all day :)

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I am sorry but my guess is your ISP needs to bump you up to what they call tier 2 or 3 support for someone who can help. They need to see if they can ping your router. If ONE device couldn't connect, but others can, then we could fix you up. Wish I could do more, these are tough to diagnose remotely but if we break it down, this is what matters:

NONE of your devices can connect. In other words, you have no internet connection.

Again, forced to guess from here but make sure they know you essentially have no internet and you have numerous devices that can't connect.

5. dybek

dybek Private E-2

Ok well thanks anyway Major.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds