DHCP cannot start Error 1053

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b0ardpunk, Nov 23, 2006.

1. b0ardpunk

b0ardpunk Private E-2

I trying to fix my parents computer it is Windows XP SP2. The internet was working and suddenly quit. I spent all day trying the normal fixes, reset routers, modems etc. The wireless card detects the network but cannot obtain an IP address. I went to services manager and discovered the the DHCP client server cannot start. When set to automatic the DHCP client gets stuck on starting, but never starts, so I set it to manual to try and stop it, no luck. I rebooted then attempted to start the DHCP manually it didn't work but I did receive an error message this time "Could not start DHCP client server on local computer. Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Also when I try to manually renew the IP address through Dos prompt ipconfig /renew I get an error that the RPC server is unavailable. I need help I have no other ideas of how to fix this problem. There are no other problems using wireless to access the internet on any other computers.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hrm, there shouldn't be a need to run the DHCP server client, since, the computer in question, should be given the ip from the router.

Though, DHCP client service should be running.

Does the nic have "automaically configure" for both IP and DNS?

3. b0ardpunk

b0ardpunk Private E-2

The problem is that the DHCP client can't start. When i configure the nic for automatic the computer can't get an ip address. However when i put one in it says I'm connected and it shows packet transfers but I can't access any websites or use email or use the internet in anyway. I can't even ping through the command prompt.

4. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Are you logging in as admin when trying to start and stop the services? Not doing so could cause that sort of problem.

Instead of automatic, did you try manual in the tcp/ip properties?

Go to one of the other machine that work... Type IPCONFIG /ALL in a dos prompt and then type in whatever the dns server should be in that machine that is giving you issues, tcp/ip properties.

Not really a fix, but a work around that should work.

5. RickM

RickM Private First Class

I am not an expert on the DHCP client server. But I dont think thats the issue, you are not running DHCP, but the router should supply the address. A few things I guess. How many computers are on this setup, How many DHCP addresses are configured to be handed out by the router and I would also try this computer wired to make sure your wireless driver did not flake out.

Rick

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Did you install any firewalls, windows updates or driver updates before it quit working?

Recently I've had a problem with the DHCP client server failing to start due to my firewall (Sygate). And update solved it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds