Dial-up Networking Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tux2460, Oct 26, 2005.

1. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

A customer brought in a system because they couldn't use their dial-up connection. The system is WIN98SE, I tried to dial into the server it gets through the negotiation then disconnects and says that microsoft Dial-up adapter doesn't exist or isn't responding. I think great this is simple just go into network and add the dial-up adapter, only it isn't there, my only choices are microsoft PPP over ATM and microsoft vpn adapter. So I uninstall and reinstall dial-up networking (from win/options/cabs), that didn't help. So I uninstalled it and downloaded Dial-up Networking 1.4 for 98SE from m$, and installed that and dial-up adapter still isn't an option.

I've reached the point where I can't figure out anything to try. I've never run into a problem like this before, and the system is virus/spyware free (norton, Panda activescan, and trend housecall).

Thanks for any help.

2. tux2460

I'm not infront of it right now, so this is memory. Conexant HCF modem (its how it is identified by windows, and conexant is on a chip and it is the only identifying mark on it). I first tried downloading new drivers for a Conexant HCF core modem, and they didn't work. When I tried them, windows came up with "nothing present identifying your hardware" I believe was the wording on that.

ISP is the company I work for it is local, and we aren't having any problems with other customers if that is the reason you are asking.

Yes they've been able to connect before.
    It doesn't have an error number associated with it, it just spits out Microsoft Dial-up Adapter not responding or not installed. If it prints it in a log somewhere tell me where and I'll get it for you.

The reinstall is DUN14-SE.exe, so I just run that after removing Dial-up Networking from windows components. (and not on one attempt). you can get it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q285189

Hopefully that answered your questions, if not I can clarify on ones where my responses don't.

Thanks for any help.

3. tux2460

As it wasn't in front of me I forgot that it had an error code just above the text box displaying the error. The error code is 645. Which M$ says is because of require encrypted password is selected under server types, which is not the case.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

From http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/dunerrorcodes.shtml
    1. Check the connectoid, is require encrypted password checked under the Server Types tab? Uncheck it.

2. Uninstall and reinstall the Dial Up adapter.

3. Recreate the Dialer.

4. Check for extra winsock.dll's and wsock32.dll's.

5. Is VPN installed? If they do not use it get rid of it.

6. Try inits.

7. Uninstall and reinstall network.

8. Nuke the pwl files.

9. Try resetting their password on the server side.

10. Full internet Uninstall and reinstall. (DUN, connectoid, pwl files, and network)

11. Is it a laptop? Try moving the PCMCIA card to another slot.

5. tux2460

This option is not checked, nor was it checked when it came in, I don't know why it gives that error code then displays a message unrelated to it.
    This is the nature of my problem. The Dial-up adapter is not there to un-install or re-install, the only adapters present to add are the VPN adapter and the PPP over ATM adapter.
    I'm not sure what you mean by dialer, if you mean the connection in dial-up connections, I've done that twice.
    in searching the system there is only winsock.dll, no others. Note: I've uninstalled anything I can find network related at this point in time.
    VPN isn't installed, the VPN adapter is when I reinstall Dial-up networking, it adds that in place of the dial-up adapter as the dial-up adapter doesn't exist.
    I'm not sure what you mean by inits.
    If you mean Dial-up Networking, I've done that several ways and times. Otherwise I can't find where to uninstall just the Network component of windows. It doesn't exist in add/remove programs>windows components.
    Not sure how this will help.
    This really won't help, as it isn't a server side problem. I don't have access to their account. I use an account set-up for when customers bring thier computers in with dial-up problems. (So we don't waste all their allotted time with troubleshooting the problem.) It works on another system that is in, and from my home, so it is an issue with the machine only.
    what is connectoid?
    No it is not a laptop, though I have changed the PCI slot of the modem to no effect.

6. tux2460

I have re-installed the drivers, and there are no errors in device manager. I keep forgetting to grab a good modem from home as I don't have any here at the shop. I'll write myself a note and test it wednesday.

7. tux2460

Installing a new modem doesn't help. It still doesn't have dial-up adapter in the add, or just present period. It was a Lucent modem, and I used a generic lucent driver, but it dialed fine just failed where the computer normally fails. I'm not sure, but I want to say it is just Windows 98 has failed. There isn't much I can do about it, he doesn't have an install disc, and I don't have one. The system is also too old for Upgrading to XP or even 2000. So if anyone else wants to hazard a guess, or a specific way of doing an reinstall, of DUN or someother component you think will help, let me know. I'm stumped and it is going to go out the door on monday or tuesday as the boss is calling it unable to be fixed by us.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds