Dial-up (Yeah, I know) Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeralcooley, Dec 8, 2006.

1. jeralcooley

jeralcooley Private E-2

Hey, I have dial-up. I connect somewhere between 18 & 26 kbps. The problem is that I get disconnected OFTEN. Sometimes as soon as I connect I'm booted within a few seconds. Could you please tell me what this could be and how to troubleshoot it? (or where I could educate myself) Thanks a lot!

2. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

well, when i had dial up (wow ages ago) i get booted off easily too, from wut i remeber when ur using dial up u cant pick up your phone that would disconnect it instantly (im pretty sure u knew that already but, just in case) I think the main reason for it to disconnect so easly is most likely because the service providers are crap. Dail ups were never stable, you could try wikipedia they have everything there (i learnt how to fix a few of my problems there) or you could simply google your problem.

my recomendation is to upgrade to broadand

and i know, my post doesnt really help much sorri

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You say "Booted"/Disconnected" please clarify: A: - Your computer/modem drops the connection B: - The site your at drops your connection C: - Your Telephone provider drops the line?????...............Sad to say especially for "Rural" people the list of sites that will not support "Dial-Up" is growing, as the sites content value increases, also the Telephony Companies are not putting the resources into land lines that do not carry Data, however you can call if you are getting a dropped line. You could also have a Modem Problem. Hope that points you in the right direction

4. jeralcooley

jeralcooley Private E-2

I've had suspicions it's my ISP. Thanks for your help

5. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. One thing that will cause you as much trouble as anything with a dial-up is phone line noise. If there is a bad connection between your modem and the phone co's lines, you can have such problems. One way to check to see if you have phone line noise is to plug an ordinary phone into the phone jack on your modem, if there is one, then, pick up the handset and listen to see if you hear a crackling/hissing sound along with the dial tone. If the modem has no phone jack, you may have to disconnect the end of the phone wire from the modem and plug it into a telephone, and listen for noise. The bottom line is that you want to hear a strong dial tone and nothing else.

6. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi, again. www.modemsite.com is a good place to do some reading. Also, if the "phone test" I outlined above does not tell you anything, you may contact customer service with your telco, and have them check the lines for you. Once, they had to fix a bad connection about a mile from my house to resolve a noise problem. Good night and good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds