Dialogue boxes flashing on screen when I try to download a file.

Discussion in 'Software' started by tap1946, Nov 12, 2009.

1. tap1946

tap1946 Private E-2

This is a rather recent problem, although it has occured sporadically in the past. The computer is running Win XP Pro 64bit and seems to run fine in all other respects but this. In most cases, when I try to download a file, I get a rapidly flashing dialogue box overlaying on whatever screen I'm on when I initiate the download. The computer is basically hung at that point. I have to reboot in order to get Windows to respond to any further commands. I have run Advanced System Care and Registry Repair Pro to no avail. I am currently running Spybot Search and Destroy.

Has anybody else experienced this behavior, and if so, how did you correct it?

2. tap1946

tap1946 Private E-2

This is not good. Seems like it is only happening when I'm trying to download a file shown on Major Geeks! egads! Test download from www.download.com seemed to work fine.

I am using IE8 in compatibility mode.

3. tap1946

tap1946 Private E-2

After much experimenting, it appears that the problem was related to IE8 (Beta) which was either corrupted or has a bug in it. When I uninstalled IE8 and went back to IE7, the problem has disappeared.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds