DialUp Connection window....

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I looked at some other threads and found no solution. Every time the PC is turned on, the DialUp Connection window opens up. No big deal, I click cancel and it's gone. But how do I stop it from ever coming up? The other threads mentioned setting IE to "Never dial..." which it already is and has been the whole time...
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It might be an altered setting in your Broadband router / modem settings. Somehow it has been set to dialup Dialup. Bazza

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I thought that too. I went thru the connection setup process several times to make sure it's set for the NIC, and I'm online with it right now thru the DSL connection and it works fine. The box only comes up right when the desktop first loads up, I click Cancel, and it's gone until the next restart....

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I guess I forgot to mention.... the OS is XP Home SP2, and the PC uses DSL, and as far as I know never uses dial up, even as a back up... in the screen shot above, you can see that it says 'dsl connection' in the dial up window.....

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I was thinking about whether or not you should have anything in the dial up window. I had ATT dial up on this computer and when I first got Verizon DSL I used their software to install. The first few times I started my computer after installing DSL, and opened a browser, I got a dial up screen asking to connect to ATT. I could cancel as you do and go on to browse using the already connected DSL. Eventually, selecting never dial a connection in Internet Options fixed my problem.

Anyway, I did a complete format and fresh install about 3 months ago. I never had to do anything about setting up an internet connection. Immediately after install, opening a browser--I was connected to my DSL. No Verizon software necessary.

The reason I bring this up is that I am wondering how a connection was named and set up in your dial up box. Take a look at my Internet Options--Connections in the attachment. There are none listed.

Under Start>Connect To>Show all connections I only have a LAN connection which=my DSL connection. Maybe you don't need that connection labeled "dsl connection 2"? Does it show up under Internet Options or the Connect To menu? If it does show up, is it the only connection listed?

I don't have the answer just giving a few places for you to look at settings.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I fixed the problem. I went to Internet Properties > Connections and removed the entries that were listed in the box. For some reason the owner of the PC set up his DSL connection as a dialup connection. I looked at the properties for the entries and his home phone number was listed. I'm assuming he thought it was needed to connect to the internet. It turns out he had used a local dial up service for years. Then he had no internet for 3 years before signing up for DSL. I guess he was thinking back to his dialup days and set up IE like that.... whatever ;) It didn't really effect anything, other than being an annoying pop up right when the desktop loaded....

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm glad you fixed the problem. :)

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Yep, another PITA popup dead and buried. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds