Dialup modem, can be pinged but not ping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bowe, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bowe

bowe Private E-2

I am having a problem with my mothers computer, which is one of the problems since she lives 300 kilometers from me...

When I was visiting her she said "Internet isn't workin!". So, here we go again...

The dial-up process works fine, I get an IP from the ISP but I can't ping it. I tried disabling the antivirus software (Avast), uninstalling Avast and disabling XP's firewall (restarting the computer between every try).

After a while I gave up and called the ISP to see if the problem was with them. After all the standard procedures ("Have you turned the screeen on?" and so on...) I got her to try to ping my machine, and that works fine. However I can't ping anything.

The computer is running XP and probably SP2 (a bit unsure).

Do you have any suggestions? If you do, please post all of them since I will need to try to guide my mother in the process or go there to test them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds