Dialup modem drivers, please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ironhand_x, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Ironhand_x

Ironhand_x Private E-2

Hey, I've got a 56k PCI dialup modem that sadly needs to be pressed back into service, I only bought it about a year ago so that I could check my email in an area that has no broadband access, sadly, somewhere between then and now I've misplaced the drivers CD... I have every damned driver cd I've ever gotten, except that one. I even have my catalyst CD from my Radeon 8500LE >_> and THAT hasn't been in use for at least 3 years now.

The OS is Windows XP, the chipset on the modem is smartlink... but unless the s/n or something off it will help, thats all the info I've got on it >_<.

It would have to be a winmodem too... ubuntu looks at it in a confused manner and tells me it doesn't know what it is >_>. The winmodem drivers for linux that I've tried don't work, and I've tried both the conexant and smartlink drivers available for download on your web site, to no avail. At least, I'm fairly certain I tried them both, I downloaded the same versions from other sites, I am now downloading those drivers for the purpose of double checking.

Just for reference, I'm looking for a working copy of the drivers for windows xp if my nix references throw anyone off ^_^.

2. Ironhand_x

Ironhand_x Private E-2

Blarg, checked site drivers, no dice, ofc the conexant drivers were intended for win9x anyways and were a long shot >_>

3. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

If you don't have any success with the PCI drivers, as I didn't for a PCI modem that I owned, investing in a USB dial-up modem might be the solution for you. One added feature of the USB modem, is that it is also usable by notebooks and laptops, as well as desktop computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds