Did I brick the MB? Can I fix it or do I need a hamme?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drainbamage, Dec 6, 2012.

1. drainbamage

drainbamage Private E-2

Hi all, first time poster but Ive been scrounging the site and havent been able to figure this out so looking for some help. Long winded post, bear with me and I'd appreciate it-

So heres more or less where I'm at right now-

my PC (using my laptop atm) has always been a bit of a frankenstein due to me not knowing wtf I'm doing. Went through some hardware upgrades trying to get lightroom to run smoother before eventually realizing I was running 32 bit XP sp3 and lightroom is a 64 bit program (to illustrate my level of technical competence here) Never the less I'm a broke bastard who would rather drive to the north pole than admit I'm lost on the way to the ocean thats 5 miles from my house, so I'm looking for some assistance so I dont have to admit defeat on this thing (not to mention I cant afford new hardware anytime in the near future so despite this rig being outdated, its what Ive got)

Computer was getting choppy (mouse dragging/jumping, games seeming to have cyclic pauses, etc) so I decided to start messing with stuff. At this point I'm thinking Ive actually burned out the RAM again which this motherboard and this user is apparently good at doing, but thats not actually my biggest problem.
    I used MSI's liveupdater (and now know I shouldnt have done that, doh) to try and bring all the drivers current, and weird thing is it showed the BIOS to be at version 0 and not at the current available version of 1. So I used the Updater software to DL and try and fix it, and then things really started going downhill.

I did a windows flash that froze, crapped my pants, but got the system to boot back up, whew. Then did a USB Flash and the flash itself went through (seemingly, program ran to completion) but then windows loaded up, never was able to get in to alter boot sequence so get the USB priority (it seemingly recognized for the flash program, but again, never seemed to load stuff up for installing a new BIOS/drivers.)

Since that happened, it decided to re-configure boot sequence to the default order for the hard drives (largest is master) which ended up with me having to disconnect the larger HD (which I run as the slave) just so I could get it to actually boot up (it was stuck on windows load screen asking for boot disk). When I did that, booted up fine, and I was even able to re-attach the HD and it was working ok. Problem was that choppy performance was way worse (keyboard even had lag on it/missed types/etc).

So in my brilliance I decided to try and use the windows install disk and do a repair (guessing that perhaps windows had a bug after I had used CC cleaner and it had deleted some infected registries). And heres where I'm seemingly now really in a painful place. When doing the windows installer I get an error message about missing the driver for "Nvidia enumerator Bus A" or something similar. I just clicked cancel and it kept loading up. So it got to windows install, and apparently windows is repaired/installed but its stuck now wanting to validate windows online. I had the onboard ethernet disabled and was using a wireless attachment via a USB port, and regardless if I wire up or have the wireless attached, everytime windows will get to that point it gives an error and cant complete. So I have my pretty desktop background with the pic from before the repair operation, but windows itself wont actually load- it just sits there.

Second part of the problem, that happened first I suppose- is that I cant access bios anymore. When attempting to enter it on boot all i get is the flashing cursor, which upon reading can either be bad hardware (which I'm suspecting of my RAM and was ready to run a memtest on when the brick started solidifying as it were) or an enumeration issue. Given the error I had about the enumerator, I'm hoping this is the case as that could/would also explain the choppy performance instead of necessarily bad RAM, right? But with the enumerator failing (or whatever is causing it to get stuck after trying to enter BIOS and Ive tried leaving it there for hours, and also tried running with either pair of RAM sticks in case one or one set had gone bad) I basically cant do anything to it. If I dont try and enter BIOS I get to the windows validation issue, if I try and enter BIOS to run the memtest or do anything there, the comp stops functioning at the (apparent) enumerating issue.

So besides buying a new MB, Processor, and RAM- what are my options?

I dont know the system specifics (I have belarc on the PC but thats not helpful atm...) but its something along the lines of a
    -MSI-7125 MB
    - AMD dual core 3800 CPU
    - 4 slots on MB for RAM, each one running a 1 gig stick right now
    -650 watt power supply
    - GTX 560(not sure which model)
    - couple hard drives

Ive read a little bit about resetting CMOS by jumping (but not real familiar with the idea/process and what it would solve) but cant see the jumper from my initial lookings (partly I dont know what I'm looking for), but I do see what I can only think is a battery (silver disc and I think it says battery on it).

So yea- do I have any hope here? If so what is it and can you please explain in little words that even an illiterate like me can understand? Big appreciation in advance, even if its just reading that long winded post.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

For testing disconnect hard drive,remove all add in cards apart from video card,disconnect all drives.

Now try is a cmos reset,disconnect power,press power switch to drain remaining power,then remove coin shaped battery for 20 secs,replace and try to boot,now try to enter bios.

Do you see the post screen? Does the computer complete the memory check and recognise the installed drives?

Buy a pc speaker if you don't have one and connect it to the speaker header on the motherboard, this may give an error code.

http://cdn.overclock.net/b/ba/ba4225be_speaker.jpeg

There's no point trying to fix your software problem until your hardware is working correctly and IMO all your problems stem from a failed bios flash,what's rare is the computer still works and recognises a boot disk, you may be lucky and be able to manually re flash the bios, to do this you'll need either the service number of your computer or the exact motherboard model and revision and then download the correct bios and install it using this guide or bootable software from msi.

Here's a guide-

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-update-howto.htm

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-update-method.htm

You can then reflash the bios manually,using either a thumb drive or floppy,whichever gets detected and works,if you've not altered anything in your bios a floppy should work, usb probably not without being able to enter the bios.

Can you post the model of the computer, or the model of just the motherboard and it's revision number.

Welcome to the forum:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds