Did I mess up my motherboard?!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by russian master, Nov 24, 2005.

1. russian master

russian master Private First Class

On a pentium 4, 3 ghz pc, with a gig of dual channel ram, windows xp pro, 160 gb sata maxtor hd, nvidia fx 5200. I was using the computer when the side popped slightly open. The computer displayed a blue screen of death ( i did not read it) and i tried popping the side back in place, the screen disappeared. I decided to restart my computer and when doing that, the monitor would always turn on in standby mode. I switched monitors and video cards and those would not work. However, on a different pc they work fine. I do not even get to the bios when i turn on the computer. Now, my only thought is that the mobo is f'ed up. Is there a way to check this...and how do I find out what mobo it is. Also, I am considering resetting the cmos by removinig the battery on the mobo. How long is this supposed to be done for? Please respond as soon as possible, I need to fix this within the next day.

Thanks

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

by all means reset your cmos. if you can find the cmos jumper on your mobo simply switch it. or remove it for 5 minutes.

also, check your cpu heatsink is seated properly, your ram is in place, your pci cards are fully seated and your devices are all plugged in correctly.

3. russian master

k, i tried taking out the battery for five minutes, plugged the computer back in, still monitor doesnt turn on. Is there a way to determine if the mobo if functioning or not throught some sort of physics characteristic in the computer?

4. russian master

I don't know what I did, but i did something...so the computer works now. I replugged everything, switched ram slots, ...everything imaginable..and it worked...so yay!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds