Did I screw up my CMOS settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverlake69, Dec 10, 2008.

1. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

I was trying to troubleshoot a continous booting up problem with my computer. So I checked the connections, fans, power supply, changed the battery, reset the memory and moved the jumper 1 position over and back. Now it still continually restarts PLUS it says "CMOS settings wrong" and "CMOS memory size wrong", and occasionally will say CMOS battery low. What did I do wrong? It is an K7S5A motherboard, AMD Athlon. Is it possible to install the jumper piece upside down? Once I get this straightened out, I'm pretty sure this is a virus issue and will have to figure out how to fix this.

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Could be your battery. Usually a CR2032 battery that holds the value of your hard drive & other equipment to pass to Window$. Very inexpensive fix. You will have to open your desktop/laptop & check for a dime-sized battery, usually held in with a movable clip. Replace it and you MIGHT have to reset your CMOS values to default. Hopefully, that's all it is.

3. silverlake69

silverlake69 Private E-2

I did change the battery and at first I was getting a message saying CMOS battery low. I double checked to make sure I didn't mess up that clip. It seems to have gone away, but now I'm getting the other messages. Ho wdo I reset the default values? I went to that and hit return, nothing happened.

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Silver,

I'm sure you have already tried this. Some BIOS Seups require you to at least go into the BIOS Setup. No changes are neccessary. Some will straighten things out themselves. Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unplug the computer take the battery out and wait 5 minutes. Put battery back, plug in and restart see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds