Dieing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Good Morning,

My hard drive is dieing. I installed a new hard drive as a slave, my thinking being that I could transfer all data, including the OS to the slave, remove the bad drive and reconfigure the slave as the master. Is this possible? Any assitance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance oh wise ones!

2. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

Most drive manufacturers have a utility that will transfer your data from an old HDD to a new one, including the OS. Check your HDD web site.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can't copy the operating system in the conventional sense although you have started with the right idea.
    You need to make a 'clone' or image of the original hard drive on the second one.
    There are several shareware and commercial programs in the backup section plus at least one free one for this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

Happy cloning

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds