Differnet download speeds for different laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CharleneW, Jan 11, 2009.

1. CharleneW

CharleneW Private E-2

My personal laptop is in for repairs (display problem). My company loaned me a Dell Latitutde D600. I am only getting 11 mbps connection. My husband is getting 56 mbps connection. I did not have this problem on my Toshiba laptop. Suggestions appreicated.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How are you determining these speeds? What type of Internet service are you using? Can you visit http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and run a speed test withboth computers, using the same test location for each test? Note the results.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The D600 is quite old. I believe it only has the slower wireless B, whereas your laptop and the Toshiba probably have wireless G or even N, which are newer and faster.

This would tally with the speeds stated. So I'm sorry but I think you are stuck with it.

4. CharleneW

CharleneW Private E-2

I have Comcast cable. I'm getting the speed from an icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen -- I believe its called the System tray.

Anywy, thanks to both of your for your responses. Much appreciated.

Charlene W.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds