Difficulty Linking Windows XP & W7 computers on network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xspankyx, Oct 9, 2010.

1. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

Okay, so the title says the problem and no matter what we've tried we cannot get the XP PCs and the W7 PCs to see each other. I'm working with a LAN & WAN set up. Recently installed a new Linksys N-Band router. We've also got a NOKIA firewall.

I've got 3 Windows XP PCs, 1 Windows XP Laptop, 1 Macbook, 1 W7 PC, 1 W7 Lenovo Laptop and 1 PS3 hooked up to the whole thing.

Anyway, the computers running XP all see each other (pinging, file sharing, etc). It's the W7 computers that can't see anyone in the network. They cannot be pinged nor can they ping the others. We've followed step by step instructions (applying network sharing, no-pass protection) and yet nothing. The workgroup name is the same for all computers. I was thinking of hooking up the Lenovo with the W7 PC and seeing if at least I can do that and maybe go from there, but I just can't see that as a solution.

All our PC's IPs are added to the firewall, which sees everyone actually. I haven't tried to remotely connect to the primary PC yet either. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Or has experience with this? Our W7 PC was on the network at one point but for some reason that stopped a month ago and we left it off because we wanted to install the new router.

All help appreciated!

2. tech6

tech6 Private E-2

You need to checkout your Network and sharing Center in win 7. Make sure all your computers are set to the same workgroup. It was difficult to set up my win 7 and xp computers also. But, it all has to do with win 7 and setting up your sharing correctly and both computers have to have the same workgroup name.

3. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

They do all have the same workgroup. I've allowed all folders to be shared by all users too, but it always marks it as private anyway. Is there anything you did specifically? I'm trying to figure this out and I've combed through the Network & Sharing Center options. Everything that should be selected IS selected but it still won't work. From what I've read online, W7 seems to be unpredictable in the matter. I'm going to try setting up a homegroup between the W7 computers right now and turn off COMODO on all the computers. Apparently either of those two options might work.

I would really appreciate knowing exactly what you did, because I've got every PC on the same workgroup name, so I assure you that this is not the issue.

4. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

Does no one have suggestions for me besides the generic stuff? :(

I'm not new at networking. I'll take a few screen shots and post when I get home. I tried turning off COMODO and pinging but it won't work. All I'm asking is for a confirmation if everything in the network PC settings is set correctly. My Nokia firewall is the only device in the network that actually "sees" ALL computers connected to the network, so the only thing I can assume is that it's a W7 networking issue.

Once again: all computers have the same Workgroup name.

5. tech6

tech6 Private E-2

Have you tried this?

From another forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...k/thread/8725832e-995c-485c-b4d2-d9788b82b867

Question: I have windows 7 and xp both in the same workgroup. They do not show up in the network and sharing center screen. Only the W7 is there and no Media Devices. I have 3 xp computers and one W7, all in the same workgroup. All XP pc's see and share two printers. No one can see the W7 pc and the W7 pc does not see anyone else.

W7 pc configed in "change sharing options for different network profiles"

Network discovery on

File and printer sharing is on

Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders is on

password protected sharing is off

Please help......Bill

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed on the XP computers?

Before a computer running Windows XP can be detected and appear on the network map, you need to install the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol on that computer. We recommend you to download and install LLTD and check the result.

If you've installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP 3) on the XP computers, then LLTD (Link-Layer Topology Discovery) is built into SP 3. In this case, please disable the security software and check the result. If you're able to see or access the computers, change the security level and also check if there is any update available for the security software by visit the vendors website.

NOTE: Do not forget to enable the security software.

To download LLTD and install it successfully, click Download LLTD

For more information, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

Hope this helps.

• Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed on the XP computers?

Before a computer running Windows XP can be detected and appear on the network map, you need to install the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol on that computer. We recommend you to download and install LLTD and check the result.

If you've installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP 3) on the XP computers, then LLTD (Link-Layer Topology Discovery) is built into SP 3. In this case, please disable the security software and check the result. If you're able to see or access the computers, change the security level and also check if there is any update available for the security software by visit the vendors website.

NOTE: Do not forget to enable the security software.

To download LLTD and install it successfully, click Download LLTD

For more information, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

6. tech6

tech6 Private E-2

I wish I could advise you of what I did, but those computers are in Ohio and I'm in Texas. I guess I must have just lucked up with getting them to network. When troubleshooting I try to breakdown the problems I'm having and do a search. It's time consuming, but it may help.

I will have to contact my sister and see what the setup is for both, but it wasn't easy believe me! :)

Hey, take a look at these threads:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/7c4ae439-f0f4-4f1e-a62d-81b1387d3d2b

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...7-computer-see-xp-computers-home-network.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...mputers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...k/thread/78e7c058-7e12-4d32-9d15-1d7921f4673c

You know what, I remember when setting up the XP and Win 7 there was an issue with something called ipv6, etc. Here's a thread regarding that it might do the trick for you since you haven't mention anything about this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...k/thread/4865cd00-4ed9-4407-83eb-4babd99bf1e3

7. tech6

tech6 Private E-2

Here's another solution someone posted with win 7 not seeing the other network computers.

Eureka!!

I've solved the problem!! I checked my firewall protection on both computer and found out that both computer haven't configured. So, they can not access each other because the firewall is blocking them from accessing each other. So, make sure your firewall settings are correct. But I still cannot run may games through LAN now

8. tech6

tech6 Private E-2

9. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

HI! I'm so sorry I haven't gotten back. I've been incredibly busy.

I managed to find out what was wrong very recently and thought of this thread lol! Apparently if you change the name of the network group on all computers to "WORKGROUP," and restart, THEY CAN SPEAK TO EACH OTHER. My dad had set up our network with a different work group name. I just happened to have the idea pop into my head so I tried it out. Also on the W7 computers, I put all things to share in network settings as stated before. But it seems that unless you input the name "WORKGROUP" it won't work. Even the wireless laptop with W7 now sees the whole network.

Again, I apologize for the delay and I really appreciate your replies!! :) <3

10. xspankyx

xspankyx Private E-2

Oh IPv6...that's the new internet protocols that have YET to be implemented. I know about that. It would be an issue because XP O/s only has ipv4. I noticed that on my W7's. I checked those off. They're kinda useless at the moment =/ I say give it 2 more years when ipv4 runs out of addresses before we see it being used more widely...

& that could be a problem for anyone looking here. Make sure you've checked off ipv6 for your W7 computers. It will create a conflict due to incompatibility.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds