Digital camera problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArmyGroo, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

I have a Gateway DC-T50 camera. I have had this camera for over a year. I have never had a problem with it before. Now I plug it into my computer and it says "USB device not recognized" I am running XP so there should be no need for extra drivers. (Also I have never had to have them before.)

On the camera itself I can see all of the pictures on my memory card. Unfortunately I have some incredible family pictures on my camera that I seriously do not want to lose. I have tried hooking the camera up to my laptop running xp with the same results. My laptop is a fresh install of XP and I have tried resetting the camera's default settings. I have not tried reformatting the memory card itself as I not sure what I would lose even with a program I have that finds deleted material which has not been over written.

What would you suggest I try to fix the problem while saving the pictures? All solutions accepted. Money is not an issue for solutions that require such.

Thanks.

2. Paradox

Paradox Private E-2

hmmm... i know you said you never needed any drivers before but just to be safe i would reinstall all drivers for that camera; if that doesn't fix the prob then post again and i'll mull over it some more. :eek:

3. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

I should have said that no drivers exist for XP. It has 2000 and '98 drivers but even the Gateway website says that for xp drivers are not necessary.

Thanks for any help.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

No drivers are necessary in XP for basic camera functions as it treats the camera as a removable storage device, which only appears when the unit is plugged in and switched on and it's then assigned a drive letter.

Some cameras require drivers for things like drag 'n drop from Windows Explorer, but anyway, that doesn't have much to do with your problem.

Your camera should have a "built-in" memory card, probably only 8MB or so.

Remove your push-in memory card and try formatting the built-in one and plug it in.

If it's not detected first time, switch it off and on while hooked up to the USB port.

5. ArmyGroo

ArmyGroo Private E-2

Ok,

So here is what I have done. I brought the SD memory card to a local photo shop and was able to access the card and print the pictures I wanted. However, after reformatting the memory card and all settings on the camera it is still not recognized by either of my computers.

I have no clue what to do now. Any suggestions on how to get the camera to be recognized by the computer?

THanks for any help.

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Your camera doesn't sound very healthy unfortunately if it's not detected by more than one computer.

Try reading through the manual if you have one or download it. There may be a way of "resetting" it?

Have it hooked up to the PC and turn the camera off and on to see if windows recognises it.

Did you install or adjust anything before this happened or either PC's or camera?

Sorry, but I can't offer anything more than basic advice without having it here in front of me.

7. Is your camera on at the time you plug it in? Perhaps it's not sending any signals that would let your PC know it's there :confused:

8. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Whilst this doesnt solve the problem if after all else fails get yourself a usb plugin card reader. They are quite cheap and XP will recocognize them. I use my Lexar all the time which takes a whole variety of camera cards.Plug it in insert your SD card from the camera and away you go using Explorer to copy or move to wherever you want to store your treasured pix.
    Regards
    Robert

9. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

All the above sound well worthe the effort -but might I suggest another solution:
    Tell you camera to behave as a DRIVE. This should be possible via the camera's menues -no need to hook it up to a pc. -If the option is available: once you tell your camera to act as a 'drive' you should hook it up to your PC (via USB)>Turn the Camera "on":> go to 'My Computer'> select the drive that corresponds to the camera> .. ...you *should* now be able to get at the data (pictures) on your camera...now you should be able to "drag n' drop" whatever files (pictures) you need.
    Hope that helps!
    Yours,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds