Digital Photo Frame Usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrandPa Bob, Jan 27, 2009.

1. GrandPa Bob

GrandPa Bob Private E-2

Recently received a Viewsonic Digital Photo Frame as a gift (Model DPX804BK). Unfortunately there were no clear instructions on how to move pictures and music from my computer to the frame. The Viewsonic web site doesn't reply to repeated questions either. The booklet I got only lists the function of various buttons, one of which is "Browser" mode. I store most of my photos in Picasa 3. Any ideas on how to load photos and music would be very much appreciated.. I am running WIndows XP Professional.

2. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hello and Welcome to MajorGeeks GrandPa Bob, Does your model photo frame have a USB connection and cable to connect to your computer? When connected, XP should detect it as a new drive in My Computer and you should be able to drag and drop your photos into the correct folder on the new drive. The ViewSonic photo frame I have has a slot for an SD flash card that I can transfer directly from my camera to the frame as well as the drag and drop function. Good luck

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From googling, your picture frame supports these types of memory cards
    CompactFlash Card type II, MultiMediaCard, CompactFlash Card type I, SDHC Memory Card, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick, SD Memory Card, XD-Picture Card

There should be slots somewhere, similar to the slots at picture printing kiosks.
    You either put your camera card in the slot and use the remote or if you have a card reader in your pc, drag the jpg and bmp and mp3 and MPEG-1, Motion JPEG, MPEG-4 files from the computer to one of the cards listed above then put the card into the frame.

One review says "Hi-Speed USB" so I suspect you can also put in a USB thumb drive to your computer, copy what you want on to the thumb drive then put the thumb drive into the USB slot on the picture frame.

4. GrandPa Bob

GrandPa Bob Private E-2

Yes, I have the USB connections and cable and XP recognizes the drive as "Viewsonic". My problem is how to easily drag & drop the desired pictures from My Pictures to the frame itself. Have had some success doing so but the booklet that comes with the frame explains nothing so it is pure luck that I am able to get anything transferred (So far have copied 25 pics). The next problem is to load music on to the frame which I guess should be the same process as the photos, only this time from the My Music file. No luck in that one so far. Copied about 12 songs but niothing shows up on the Viewsonic file list and nbotrhing plays. Thanks for your ideas anyways, I wll keep poking around.

5. plodr

If you aren't using a USB thumb drive or a card, you will not get lots of pictures and music into the frame because it only holds 128MB. Look at the total size of the 25 pictures. If it is close to 128MB then there is no room for anything else.

You might be able to downsize the pictures and then decrease the size in MBs.

6. GrandPa Bob

GrandPa Bob Private E-2

The 128 MB capacity is the key, I believe, as when I tried to load some music, it stopped suddenly and indicated that there was no more space. Now I will set up some photos on an SD card and reload. I tried earlier to reduce the picture size but quality suffered in the process. The only question remaining is how to load and play music. The support team at ViewSonic finally answered me with a vague suggestion on how to load things but were not specific enough to be of much help. At least they are answering queries, even on late basis. I will continue to go back and forth with them now. Thanks so much everyone for your patience in helping a retiree to work his way through this stuff. I have learned a great deal about technical matters as well as the kindness of others to newbies like me.

7. plodr

You are a few steps ahead of me. I'm also retired but don't own any digital picture frames so I have yet to attempt what you are doing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds