Dim screen on sony vaio pcv 6603

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cma, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cma

cma Private E-2

I have a Sony PCV 6603 All In One Computer. It is quite a number of years old but works fine other than the screen is very dim and virtually impoossible to read. It was working fine one day and as far as I know nothing happened to it.

Running Windows XP

If I connect to computer via Logmein there is no problem seeing the screen so I am guessing problems is with the screen, but as it is built into the computer can't change screen/monitor or find a way to add anexternal monitor.

Any help appreciated

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

It sounds like either the backlight and/or the inverter board built into the screen has gone bad. Either will require a replacement of the entire screen assembly (likely $200-$350 depending on the cost of the part).

If the computer has an external VGA port, you may be able to hook an external monitor to it. If not (and you can't find a reasonably priced replacement screen + labor), I'd cut your losses and replace the PC since it is several years old.

Sorry for the bad news; however I hope this helps.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ummm, no it won't. Backlight CCFLs and inverters can be replaced without replacing the entire screen assembly. It is done on notebooks and stand alone LCD monitors all the time. I see no reason an all-in-one would be different. Depending on the model and parts availability, parts typically cost between $50 and $150, with 1 -2 hours of labor maximum.

Are you sure of that model number? I cannot find PCV 6603 on Sony sites. I would be very surprised if there was not some sort of external monitor support.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for that. It seems you are right and most (if not all) AIOs don't have external monitor ports. I see HP is the same way, but I also note on HP's site that you can connect an external monitor via USB. And that Sony has USB too so you should be able to connect an external monitor via a USB graphics adapter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds