Dimension 8400, no post, no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Sep 26, 2009.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I've got a winner on my hands here, I have a Dimension 8400 from Dell, and all was well with the refurbish until tonight.

Dell tried to tell me it was the PSU, but I have my doubts.

I get no POST, no video, and the fan screams like a banshee.

No integrated graphics, and I have no spare PCI-E card.

It locked up when I was in the BIOS setup, and had to be shut down, and then the current symptoms began.

Need to test PSU, and am worried it is the MOBO.

Anyone seen this before?

By the way, diagnostic lights indicate A, C, & D are green, and B is orange.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Which fan as that's an obvious starting point.

3. the mekanic

System fan Augie.

SCREAMIN' like a banshee.

Looks like the PSU is solid, and I'm thinkin' mobo.

Just lookin for some reassurance before I throw out sixty bucks on one.

4. the mekanic

Took a hard look at the caps, looks like the heat issue with the Prescott core probably did one in.

I have always loved Dell for their cooling solutions, but I think they dropped the ball on this model.

5. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

Maybe this will help, although I see nothing there with the light pattern that you see. Can you identify any of the beep patterns?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds