dinosaur here

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sweets53, Sep 22, 2006.

1. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

Trying to get the Network Add A New Coonection hooked up properly so I can get this Windows 98SE dinosaur dialing up again. Does anybody still know how to do this?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Your modem is installed and "working properly"? ...then right click internet explorer / properties / connections / add .....put in the info for your isp connection / then choose always dial ....should be up and running.

3. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

Hey I can't wait to get home & try this. I can hardly believe it would be that simple. You should here some of the advice I've been getting. Telling me I have to configure a dial up coonection to the Internet or that I should uninstall Windows 98SE & reinstall all over again. It took me forever to get the modem drivers. I'm hoping you're right but I won't be able to check until most likely Monday morning East Coast time. Will you be around to follow up on this with me?? Please say yes, I'm begging you!!

4. TimW

No problem ...will be around .....you do have the info from your isp? will tell you the isp address and incoming/outgoing ports to use....:)

5. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

If you mean that stmp stuff maybe I'm not sure where to look for it. Can you be a little more specific please ? What info will I need to know? Should I uninstall my ISP first? Thanks

6. TimW

"stmp stuff" is for your mail settings .....don't uninstall your isp ....lets get you to the web first .......on the connections tab hit add ( if your isp isn't already there..if it is, hit properties) ...follow the prompts for you isp info ...including your user name and password .....report back any issues you can't figure ....

did not your isp give you instructions?

7. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

TimW
    Followed your instructions "Choose Always Dial" I checked that box & rebooted still my ISP was unable to detect A DIAL TONE. You then mentioned further instructions about a "Connections" Tab. I'm not too sure what Connections tab you're referring to but the only thing that looked strange under the ISP was for a telephone number inside the box was "2222" there was no area code as well. Please explain further about this Connections tab & this strange number 2222, thanks.

8. TimW

No dial tone .....hummmmm and the number is obviously not the number that the modem uses to call up the isp ....put in the correct phone number and if it still doesnt dial ...it may be your modem is dead.
    Right click "My network places" and choose properties ...is the local connection showing ....?
    Right click internet explorer / properties / connections ...in the dial up box should be you isp connection ...click on settings to view the isp configuration and check that it is set as your isp has told you.

9. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

Under the Dial-Up Networking tab when I highlight Netzero, click filethen properties & changed the "2222" to my ISP local dialup number & area code even though I clicked ok & rebooted the same 2222 reappears all the time.
    Also your said to to Right-click "My Network Places" could you be more specific I don't know where that is please.

10. TimW

Weirder and wierder ....(like that spelling?) ...right click the desktop / properties / desktop / add my network places ....

Oh ....netzero? Is that your isp? or do you have a local isp? If a local you need to add that to the dialup and there put in their info and make that one the default.

11. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

Sir,
    We're talking about Windows 98SE. When you right-click on the Desktop you get Display Properties. There is no thing like Add My Network Places anywhere.
    My local ISP is Netzero

12. TimW

13. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

It's not Netzero, I tried with AT&T & had the same results. I'm thinking it's along the lines of the DUNS connectoid which I know nothing about, do you know how that goes for W98SE?

14. TimW

Lets see where you are at:
    open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without qoutes ...report back.

15. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

16. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

I reformatted & Installed Windows 98SE (101 files) so why would you think this needs to be done?

17. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

sometimes files can be corupted - for what ever reason. if nothing else works uninstall and reinstall.

18. sweets53

sweets53 Private E-2

Uninstalling & reinstalling the modem driver files didn't work. Someone else suggested that even though the Resources tab for the Modem says "No Conflicts" there could be a hardware conflict. To disable COM2 in the BIOS might fix the problem. But I'm unfamiliar with BIOS settings. All I see is "Serial Port: Enabled" & "Parallel Port:Disabled" in the Power Management Setup of the BIOS. Are you or anyone else familiar with this?

19. rosewoodtech

rosewoodtech Private E-2

Serial Port is the com port. there are usually two of them. however it is not unlikely that there is only one. it has been a while since have had to work with that area of the bios. if i am not mistaken, enabled means the serial port on the back of the computer will work when a device is connected via cable. disabled sets the computer to use an internal card in one of the motherboard slots ie. internal modem. if i am wrong someone please correct me, like i said it has been a long time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds