DINPUT8.dll missing from computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Daren, May 7, 2015.

1. Daren

Daren Private E-2

For some weeks now, I have the problem of an error message "The program can't start because DINPUT8.dll is missing from your computer" appearing whenever I try to update my Adobe Flash Player in Firefox or if I want to start some games in Steam. At first I posted this in the malware forum, the result was, that I don't have any malware and my logs are clean. So here I am, hopefully you guys can help me out with this error. I think its a problem with direct x or my graphic card driver but I don't want to change anything without knowing what to do exactly. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which version of Windows are you running? DINPUT8.dll is for DirectX and re-installing the version appropriate for your version of Windows should resolve the issue.

3. Daren

Daren Private E-2

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Tried to download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer but the installation can't continue because a newer or equal version of direct x already exist on my computer. I have directx 11.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Daren

Daren Private E-2

Directx 11.1 is already installed on the computer, I have installed 9.0c but the games are still getting the same error of DINPUT8.dll missing.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at the following article.

http://www.articlewritingclicks.com..._Error__What_Causes_it_and_How_to_Fix_it.html

Based on what you've already done, the only option is to reinstall and update all your display related drivers.

7. Daren

Daren Private E-2

I still get the error after reading through everything on the site, including deinstalling everything from amd/ati, then manually removing the remaining registry entries and folders from amd/ati, then I installed the newest available driver from the site (normal stable version, then tried beta, no effect). I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700 series.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

That site looks like it's hosting mildly reworked scraped content and doesn't feel at all trustworthy, the kind of place forum spammers point you to because there's a link/comment about their own snakeoil/crapware software listed there - clickbait.

Driver scanners - just say no; if installing DX9.0C doesn't fix it, then the .dll is most likely part of the original OS install, if it really doesn't exist anymore or the file is corrupt, first try SFC /scannow or a Repair Install.

9. Daren

Daren Private E-2

Do i have to do SFC /scannow in safe mode? In normal mode it tells me that some data couldn't be repaired. I will run the scan more than once.
    I can't do system repair since my C drive (where windows is installed) has about 4 gb free space and I would need about 20 gb free space. Any possibility I can increase this space? I wonder which data use so much of my hard drive space.

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The System Volume Information folder (used to keep Restore Points) can become quite large. You can perform Disk Cleanup and delete all but the most recent Restore Point. This will free up several GB on the drive. You can also install CCleaner and run it in it's default settings to get rid of junk files which may also free up several GB.

11. Daren

Daren Private E-2

Hello, the error was not fixable so I reinstalled windows and now everything works again. This was the fastest way instead of wasting more time to search for corrupted data. This thread can be closed. Thank you all for your support. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds