direct connect works, but wireless and cable phone -- no dice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phlegmbot, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot Private First Class

So the cable guy came today and now I have Internet.

The wire running from the cable modem to my computer seems to be working -- I'm on the Internet RIGHT NOW!

However, if I unplug the wire from the computer and hook it up to either:
    1. my cable phone router (a Vonage phone, which I've had for years and have never had issue with)
    or
    2. my Netgear router (WGR614 v6) (which I've also had for years and never had an issue)...

I cannot get on the 'net.

I've tried resetting both of these, no effect.

The cable modem shows that everything is fine (that is, all the lights that should be up and blinking, are)...

The Netgear router goes through the self test, the "i" light flashes and the antenna light is solid...which both indicate I should have wireless. My computer shows that I am connected per the wireless icon in the corner (and when I click "View Available Wireless Networks," Netgear is at the top of the list with all bars and it reads "Connected" -- except I am not).

I've restarted the computer too. No change.

Thoughts?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First thing to do would be to check the ISP FAQ from their support and see if there are any guides for set up. They may have some different settings that need to be configured for access.
    When you say you reset the routers, did you go back to factory defaults and redo your connections from the beginning? May need to do that.

3. Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot Private First Class

Thx, digital -- I had posted after e-mailing Vonage and getting nowhere. called them today, and they helped me re-configure. What you said is what they took me through step-by-step (also, as it turns out, if you don't use your cable phone for several weeks -- as I hadn't as the place i was moving to wasn't ready -- it takes longer for the cable phone router to connect to the network).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds