Directions, Please.

Discussion in 'Software' started by DTurner, Oct 29, 2011.

1. DTurner

DTurner Private E-2

I'm not sure where to post my questions. Over the past week I have been working my way through majorgeeks threads to repair my Gateway 5626, vista home, 32, desktop. It had/has a bug that redirected online searches. Windows Defender discovered Sirefef.(the letters change first it was .0, then .B etc.) It disabled all the installed protections. So, I followed the malware Read this First steps: Malwarbytes, MGtools, OTL, Rkill, ESETSirefefRemover, TDSS Killer, and Combofix. Most recently, I rad TDSS Killer then Combofix. After running Combofix the computer will not boot. Previously, I was able to run features from Safemode with little difficulty. Now it does not boot normal, safe, command prompt. It loops through Startup Repair, then says "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer" I have jotted down the details "Problem Signatures:". I have tried 2 separate (different sources) of Avira's bootable disk. When I tried to boot from them they hung up at "loading".."kernel". Neither worked. Now, I have downloaded a vista recovery disk from proposedsolutions. I have the two Gateway Restore DVDs but the disks have written on them "The restoration process erases all data and files from the hard drive." So, I am using the downloaded recovery disk. It booted. It could not restore. It HAS given me a command prompt. So, I'm in...I just don't what to do next.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome.

I'm moving your thread to Software for now as you aren't able to boot up. Hopefully, someone will be able to get you back up and running and you can continue in Malware afterwards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds