Directshow Hassle

Discussion in 'Software' started by beavis79, Mar 4, 2006.

1. beavis79

beavis79 Private E-2

Hi , I have been using K-Lite codec pack for some time now with no problems playing most videos that I get my hands on. I use Kazaa lite to "fish" for stuff and in ,the last few months ,more and more files are showing up that wont play because they are directshow and unsupported by any of my media players or any of the hundreds of codecs in the codec pack. I was reading about something called DefilerPak on a site that came up on google when I searched directshow.
    It contains a piece of software called ffdshow along with some other stuff.

Does anyone know anything about this? Do I have to uninstall K-lite codec pack to use this other one? Can I just install this ffdshow as a stand alone to watch directshow files? Why do we have to have so damned many of these codecs anyway!?? lol:)

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5150 P-4 3.06ghz 1gb ram win xp pro sp2 I have several media players wmp is set as default.

What a hassle man! Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks :)

2. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

3. beavis79

beavis79 Private E-2

Hello, no I have not upgraded SDK platform or framework to 2.0
    I only have a vague understanding of what these are after reading the article at the link you posted.

How do I go about these up grades? Are these windows or windows media player updates from the microsoft site?

4. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

5. beavis79

beavis79 Private E-2

Hello again :) Well now I'm up to date on .net framework 2.0 after 2 or 3 hours of downloading from the microsoft site. Even with DSL connection it's like holding bucket under dripping faucet. My computer even got bored and fell asleep several times. lol
    Anyway the upgrades did not allow me to see the video files , but thanks anyway. I now know more than I did about directshow. My first guess was that directshow was some kind of code to prevent people from saving video files from subscription websites to there hard drive and watching or sharing files after subscription expired. The name implies that you can only watch it as a streaming download directly from the website. That was my guess.

G-spot gives a numbered error code reported by direct show when it attempts to open the file.

media player classic just says: cannot render file.

wma says: player might not support the file type or the codec used to compress the file.

Thanks for your input I will continue to research codecs. Any other ideas or suggestions appreciated. Maybe I should put on some heavy metal head banger rock and do like the little guy in that yellow sign icon at the left. HE HE HE! Later dude.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds