Disable sleep mode in Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a client that uses 'sleep mode' at night instead of powering off the PC. Now, this is fine and good (but personally I would turn it off 'cuz I've had MANY bad experiences with sleep mode and hibernation), but in the morning she forgets that it's in 'sleep mode' and she hits the power button which initiates the shut down process. She then thinks that something is wrong with the PC and then she holds down the power button until the PC "forces" a power down, then she powers it on again. When the PC is powered back on, naturally there's the message "The PC did shut down correctly. Do you want to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, etc etc". She is convinced that it is because the PC is problematic or has a bad motherboard. I have been using the PC for 2 days straight w/o any problems. I have looked thru the Event Viewer and there are numerous entries for "The system has successfully entered sleep mode". Then about 7 or 8 hours later (at about 7.40am) there's almost always a red exclamation point saying "The previous shut down at 7.34am was unexpected". Hmmmmm......

Soooo..... is there a way to COMPLETELY disable 'sleep mode' and to remove it from the 'shut down options' menu? I'd like to do the same with Hibernation if possible.

THX!

(BTW- the PC is running Vista Home Premium 32bit)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've had issues with both Vista/W7 sleep/hibernate modes as well. Go into the CP and get into system and security/power options., edit power settings and choose never.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

dlb,

As a workaround, you could rename it as do-not-hiberfil.sys :-D

Bazza

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ plodr and augiedoggie: thanks, but I've already done all of those things. What I'd really like to do is to somehow remove "Sleep" entirely if possible. In Vista and 7, next to the 'power' button, there's a sideways-pointing arrow that brings up various power options like "Sleep" and "Hibernate" etc. I'd really like to remove these options from the menu just so my client can't use either one even if she really wanted too.

@ bigbazza: that's a good idea! ;) Can I do the same thing to the equivalent file for "sleep mode"? If so, what's the file?

(BTW- thanks for the link above, plodr! It has tons of good info that I always wondered about, like the difference between 'hybrid sleep' and just regular 'sleep' ;) )

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Have you looked in the bios to see if there is a way to disable sleep/hibernate(S3 or S4 settings)?

I haven't tried this one but it might be worth looking at Don't Sleep.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ plastidust: nope, didn't think of that!! It's a good idea tho'... I'll give it a looksee... thx.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'll have to research that one. :-o ;) Anyone else, please step in. :major

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds