Disable Touchpad??

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Toshiba laptop running xp sp3. The cursor jumps to random places in any word type program; notepad, Word, email replies, etc. Very annoying. I am thinking that maybe my wife is touching the touch pad while she types. However, I can't find any way to disable the touch pad. Under Device manager, the only thing showing is the USB mouse. Same in Control panel, only the USB mouse is shown. No icon for the touch pad in the tray. Anyone have an idea?

2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Yup. She is most definitely hitting the touchpad while typing. And while it isn't a problem that the mouse moves around. It is that "Tap to Click" is enabled. I had to download some really old synaptic mouse driver, since the driver windows wanted to give me wouldn't let me disable it.

I take it you have a USB mouse plugged in.

Have you tried unplugging it and checking the Device Manager to see what it says?

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'm not totally up on Toshiba but many laptops allow the touchpad to be disabled in the bios and some have a switch along the front edge of the computer.

I run ThinkPads and always disable the touchpad for the same reason (in the bios on IBM). ThinkPad has the red joystick they call trackpoint as well as the touchpad so I still have a mobile solution.

4. TimW

It then only shows as a ps/2 mouse. Nothing regarding the touch pad.

Haven't looked in the bios. But she insists she is not touching it.

5. Baxter Stockman

If you Disable the PS/2 Mouse does it disable the touchpad from working?

Trust me. I had no idea why i would be typing and all of a sudden I'd be typing in the middle of another paragraph or sentence. I didn't think I was touching the touchpad, but the second I disabled tap to click, it never happened again.

6. TimW

Only option was to uninstall, which I did, required a reboot and it is back when rebooted. Sigh.

7. Baxter Stockman

Then I think you need the driver that has some software. Like ALPS or Synaptic

8. TimW

I will check the bios and then see if I have a driver somewhere on the utilities disc. Thanks. ;)

9. Groinsh0t

Groinsh0t Private E-2

Sounds stupid-is there a function key combination to disable it? I know there is for any laptop I've ever fixed.

10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

With most Toshibas, the combination is <FN+F9>.

Recheck Control Panel > Mouse Properties - sometimes the touchpad enable/disable is hidden in strange tabs.

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Also, check to see if the touchpad is driven by Synaptics software - if so, there may be a separate startup and/or Control Panel applet for that program.

For that matter, while in CP, check any Keyboard Properties applet.

12. TimW

All good suggestions. As soon as I finish doing my daughters taxes, I will see what I can find. ;)

13. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Make notes as you go, Tim - I can't work out how to re-enable mine ;)

14. kench

kench Private First Class

here's a small windows app that might work...it's called touchpad pal...http://desofto.com/

15. TimW

Thanks!!! I will have to try that!! ;)

16. TimW

Well, it looked good, but it won't install. Sigh. :( And Fn + F9 doesn't work either.

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is for one series of Toshiba
    What is the model and number? I might be able to find something different for your model.

18. TimW

It's a Satellite model. Would have to check the serial number. But when it went down, I installed an OEM xp version for a gateway. LOL. I will have to check the bios to see if I can disable it there. Says it can't be done in the bios. Humm....may need to download the touch pad driver first.

19. TimW

Weird. I installed the touchpad driver and the Fn+F9 still doesn't work. Works on my other Toshiba. Will try your suggestion next, plodr.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds