Disabled internet connection, can't enable it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmk5508, Mar 14, 2006.

1. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hey guys. I've got a weird problem. I have 2 machines and 1 laptop (which uses wireless for internet access). Last night on the laptop, I disabled the internet connection by going to My Network places-NW connections, right clicking on the internet connection and the wireless connection and choosing 'disable'. After a while, I go back to the same place and enable my wireless connection, but the internet connection doesnt show in the my NW connections window. So now I am unable to get on the internet from the laptop.

So I go to the other 2 machines (which had not been touched) and I can't get on the internet with those 2 either! I am using a Dlink router and a cable modem. I'm getting an IP address but if I try to ping the internet, I get nothing. I also tried resetting the router and the modem, with no luck. I plugged in the router first, then the modem, if that makes a difference.

Should I try a release/renew? other ideas??

Please help!

2. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

When you say NW Connections window you mean the list of wireless networks??

3. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Im talking about when you go to My network places, and view network connections. On windows XP.

4. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

Are you using an external wireless card. or is it on built

5. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

I'm actually just running wireless on the laptop. The other 2 machines are not using wireless, but are using ethernet connection. Last night, while on my laptop, I disabled the internet connection. I did that by going to My network places, viewing the connections, and right clicking the internet connection and choosing disable. So I guess I am unsure what to do to enable it again. So later on last night, I notice that I can't get on the internet from either of the 3 machines. All 3 are getting IP addresses, I tried resetting the router and cable modem...nothing. I also tried a IPconfig release/renew. When I release the IP, the IP goes away as it should. I renew it and get the same IP I had before I released it. I can ping my router, but can't ping the internet. I went into my router to check everything there. It's telling me the DHCP client is disconnected. Above that, it tells me DHCP Server enabled. I went into the control panel and restarted the DHCP service, also. Still no internet. On my router page, it has a button for DHCP release and a button for DHCP renew. I assume that is the same as IPconfig release/renew. I try DHCP release with no problem, then when doing DHCP renew, it comes back saying Renew IP time out.

Not sure here. I'm not very skilled at the whole DHCP TCP/IP stuff.

6. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

I dont have any D link products so i dont no what the web based interface of the router like. On my router which is belkin it tells me when it is connected and when there is no connection. Des yours have anything similar to this.

I still 'dont get' what you mean by the connection is no longer in network connections. From my ecperience you connect to a wireless router and it will connect whether there is interent there or not. Can you be more specific. + is the laptop running an external wireless card as you did not answer the last question. :)

7. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Sorry about that. I am using wireless on the laptop with a wireless card. What I mean by the internet connection is not showing....if you go to 'my network places' and 'view network connections', you usually see any connections you have. When I go there on my laptop, I see my wireless connection as enabled, but don't see the internet connection I disabled last night. And I am unsure why disabling the internet connection on my laptop would effect the other 2 machines as well.

8. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Sorry about that. I am using wireless on the laptop with a wireless card. What I mean by the internet connection is not showing....if you go to 'my network places' and 'view network connections', you usually see any connections you have. When I go there on my laptop, I see my wireless connection as enabled, but don't see the internet connection I disabled last night. And I am unsure why disabling the internet connection on my laptop would effect the other 2 machines as well.

9. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

If you disabled your INTERNET CONNECTION then there is no internet ther, you have disabled the internet for the whole network. Is your internet like another connection next to your wireless connection.

Might be worth restarting everything to see if it comes back on.

+ how did you get that connection there in the first place if the above does not work or you have already tried

10. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hey mark. Yes, the internet connection was disabled for the whole network apparently, so I need to know how to go back and enable it. In 'My network places' on the laptop, there was an internet connection and a wireless connection.

I dont know how it got put there in the first place, thats why I am here. Thanks!

11. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

What modem are you using:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds