Disappearing Fonts - Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Katie_24, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Katie_24

Katie_24 Private E-2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me with a computer problem. I use a PC (with Windows XP) and a couple of days ago, my fonts disappeared out of Control Panel – Fonts. Everything on my system, including text docs and file names, were replaced by symbols.

I tried re-installing the fonts but only four will stay in the folder (and these are awful ones that I can barely read). None of the standard fonts such as Arial, Helvetica etc will stay put.

The system restore won’t let me restore to an earlier time.

So far, I have:

1. Run virus checks (nothing found)
    2. Replaced the desktop.ini (to no avail)
    3. Changed the theme (properties)
    4. Installed recovery software and attempted to set a restore using this software - again to no avail
    5. Installed and run TweakMe software in order to repair the fonts folder. It didn’t work. However, it allowed me to rebuild the desktop icons which turned back to normal text but whenever I log off the system, it reverts to the weird font again.

I should probably also mention that when I open a Word document, it defaults to the odd font, yet all the fonts I want are showing as available. I have to default to Arial every time I use re-start the machine and want to use Word.

All my fonts are showing up in C: Drive / Windows.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Katie

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds