Disappearing outgoing email

Discussion in 'Software' started by igb11s, Sep 1, 2007.

1. igb11s

igb11s Private E-2

Don't know if this is a software or hardware (modem) problem and I'm not sure exactly when it started but I first noticed it shortly after an electrical storm about two weeks ago. The problem is I am able to receive but not send email. My outgoing messges appear in the send box and there is no bounce by the mailer daemon, but the the messages never arrive in the addressee's mailbox. There is no response to request for receipt. After reinstalling Outlook Express didn't solve the problem I installed Eudora. That, too, didn't help. My ISP has given up. Any suggestions?

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

I'd almost rule out damage to the hardware, as it's common to all internet access, not just email. I'm assuming that your ISP also sponsors your email accounts. A quick check that I do to ensure that their mail server isn't causing me difficulties is sending an email from one of my accounts to another. This should succeed, since your client software is configured with the proper client login info etc. If it doesn't you have to make sure that the SMTP port is set to 25 and that the POP3 port is 110. However many ISPs change these to something different. My ISP uses 995 on the POP3, so if I used the well known port number, I wouldn't be receiving any email. I hope that helps.:)

3. igb11s

igb11s Private E-2

Yes, the ISP also sponsors the email account. I am able to send a message from my laptop to my desktop (the PC with the problem) successfully. The SMTP port is set at 25 and the POP3 port at 110 on both machines.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You reviewed the settings with your ISP, right? I used port 25 for SMTP for years, as have many users. But, I'm now using 587. I would think your ISP would surely mentioned this if they require it but, anyway, you might try it.

A reference: Use TCP Port 587 For Mail Submission

5. igb11s

igb11s Private E-2

Yes. I'm told it hasn't changed. Also, I'm able to send messages from my laptop using the same account and ports.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

See if the steps below solve it.

1 Start Outlook Express.

2 On the Tools menu, click Options.

3 On the Connection tab, uncheck Hang up after sending and receiving.

4 Click OK.

5 Exit all programs and restart the computer.

6 Resend email.

Steve

7. igb11s

igb11s Private E-2

The "Hang up after sending and receiving" box was already unchecked.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

It could be "security software" causing it. If you have your anti-virus set to scan emails, disable it and try sending.

If that doesn't help, temporarily disable the anti-virus / firewall and see if it goes thru.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds