Disappearing Vista Control Panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by gbernier, Aug 20, 2010.

1. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

I am having a very strange phenomenon. If I leave my desktop PC running for a awhile, unused, it will lose its connection with the networked printer. When I try to access Control Panel, it won't open. Start>Control Panel does nothing. If I reboot, everything is fine -- for awhile.

The printer is fine, I have other PCs on the same home network and it only happens on one. The PC in question is running Vista Ultimate. The machine is hybrid; it's an HP box with a Gigabyte GA-G41M MB. It works fine except for this issue. Also, I am using Vipre Premium as anti-virus software.

Any thoughts?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would see if your network driver in Device Manager and then right click and choose Properties the Power Management tab, that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" tick box is unticked.

It sounds as if the network driver is going into save mode, thus takes an age or non at all to come out of.

3. gbernier

gbernier Private E-2

Hi Halo,
    The power saving box was checked and I unchecked it. Now, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the recommendation. It does make a lot of sense.
    Gary

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds