Disastor.... BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treyu, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Treyu

Treyu Private E-2

Help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A110 (it's old...). I kid you not I was going to go buy a laptop this weekend and transfer all the files over when the BSOD struck this morning. Now I can't load any modes and as far as I can tell from ripping apart the old laptop box (from 4 years ago...) all I have is a Product Recovery DVD-ROM. I honestly could care less about the laptop, I just want my files! My life is on this laptop...

Any suggestions?

The message I get is first the black screen suggesting I start up from Windows Normally or Last Known Good Configuration. Then it goes to the BSOD. BSOD says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and at the bottom STOP: 0x00000050 (0x80095004, 0x00000001, 0x80515103, 0x00000000).

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi Treyu, go to this M$ link and have a read through. I would try taking out the memory and reseating as a start. If you have more than 1 stick in situ take 1 out and try the single one, reverse this procedure with the other. If that dosen't work have you another stick (that you know is not faulty)that is equivilant with the one/s installed, if so try that one. There are other guides there that you could try then post back. ;)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.aspx

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I think the easiest way would be to purchase an external hard drive enclosure and transfer the files using the laptop drive as an external

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. Treyu

Treyu Private E-2

Toke; that sounds difficult and I don't understand!

Halo; No, can't load safe mode or any mode as mentioned. So I can't get the files off. I am running Windows XP but I don't have the Windows DVD as it came already on I believe. Not sure what you mean by service pack?

Collinsl; would rather not buy an external hard drive as of yet...

plodr; that was an idea I had already but the laptop I am on now and have access too is brand new and runs Windows 7, would that be a problem? And I don't want to infect this laptop with whatever was destroying my laptop.

7. demon_man

demon_man Private E-2

what about trying to boot up a linux live disc?? you can still mount your windows hd right folks? then copy them all to a flash drive or something?

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Not an entire drive, just the enclosure with connections for the laptop drive, so you remove the laptop drive from the laptop and place it in the enclosure, which is then connected the desktop via USB or FireWire.

Although DemonMan seems to have hit the nail on the head with a good idea there.

Have a look at this guide to make a LiveCD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

9. Treyu

Treyu Private E-2

Okay so I have downloaded Knoppix onto a DVD-ROM but when I got to boot off of the CD/DVD drive on my laptop it doesn't do anything?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds