Discussing malware tools & programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hudson's Pops, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Hudson's Pops

Hudson's Pops Private E-2

I have had good success with Eset's NOD32. I liked it better than any of Symantec's products. I have been using the Windows firewall for the time being, I disliked Agnitum's Outpost Firewall - it was too hard for me to use! I always liked Ad-Aware (Lavasoft) and Spy Sweeper from Webroot. But how many programs should you have going at once? What is everybody out there using? I would like to know. ............Thnxk!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved your post from the Malware forum as its a closed forum from the general membership and moved it here to the software forum as you will get many different opinions ;)

I guess what security applications you use is what you feel is benefical and comfortable to use for you personally and if they keep you Malware free then great, keep on using.

my thoughts;

Windows firewall in XP is good for blocking any incomming data, but if you sadly become infected with anything then, it does not block your personal data from escaping to its master! to this end I would advise using a firewall that will block both incoming/outgoing data or applications unless you specify otherwise, ZoneAlarm Free is easy to setup as you didnt like Outpost or maybe try Sygate Personal.

other apps I use and install on every PC are;

SpywareBlaster
    AVAST Home AntiVirus
    Windows Defender beta2 ( great free software from MS, which scans live )Ad-Aware Personal ( 2nd Opinion as not every app picks up all, run this once a week )
    A2 ( A-Squared ) ( specific scanner for various trojans/dialers etc, this is more a 3rd opinion app for using once every few weeks )
    Zone Alarm Free firewall

the only ones of these that are resident or live scanning are Defender, ZoneAlarm and AVAST the others are on demand scanners and dont use any CPU or Memory up.

( SpywareBlaster is neither resident scanner or on demand, its function is to prevent a known malware issue from being installed in the first place by adding to the blocked URL list of the browser the URLs of known sites that promote Malware/Spyware thus protecting you this way... very effective IMO, manually updates )

Plus one app that is not a Spyware or Malware scanner but does help in keeping your PC free of junk and is a good addition to security apps is CCleaner again download link listed in the guide.

and to round off a great guide to read through over Coffee/Tea How to Protect yourself from malware! plus has all the links to the programs I mentioned above in it :)

3. Hudson's Pops

Halo, I really want to thank you for the reply. It tells me that I have done some things right, and lets me know what else I should consider for my system. I never spent any time in a forum, that is about to change. I am not a beginner, but there are some things in the computer world I never learned.
    I like to read good ongoing discussions about matters such this, I will try and make sure I get in the right post area in the future.
    Is there anyone out there that has used Agnitum's firewall extensively? I still have the CD and might consider using it again if could learn some of its application a little better. Thnks.........

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay it always depends on how much RAM you have and can spare from system memory!!!!! The more you have the greater the increase for slowing sys speed but you have to be secure!!!!!!

But there are key issues with security that need addressing and these are what I use to protect myself and why:

NOD32 (AV)

WinPatrol (Start-up Monitor; even with top notch security hackers/and crackers are a smart and ever evolving breed, this app teels me if some new program wants to become a new start up program and asks my permission, e.g. a dialer)

Spyware Blaster (Blocks known bad websites)
    Spyware Guard (Similar but offers other options)

Outpost Firewall Pro (FW)

Pest Patrol (Keylogger detector, tells me if some program is monitoring my keystrokes!)

Windows Defender

I also use on a regular basis, Spybot S&D and Adaware each for as the name implies.

P.s. here is a link for configuring NOD32 but leave all the options as "manual" and make the prog prompt you for deletion (don't set it to automatic "clean" and "deletion" but make it ask you! so you can decide if you don't want the file, etc):

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Take your time if you follow this and don't set any program to automatic deletion but to "Quarrintine" so you can ensure NO FALSE POSITIVES.

5. Hudson's Pops

Thanks again for the replies with your suggestions! I am back on line with my new XP Media Center running the show. I have enjoyed it so far, I have a long ways to go in reaching my desired configuration. (There is no final point of perfection, tweaking can be done every day!) I have re-considered not using Outpost Firewall, and if I re-install, I may ask for help to configure. Thanks again for your notes!

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Outpost is a bit confusing for a while but it offers a lot greater security than Zone Alarm, Windows, etc. For goodness it asks me when Windows wants to make changes to an updated Windows process, personally I like this level of security.

Just make sue it is set to Rules Wizard (the big blue ?) and in "Options" > Policy (tab) select "Do Not Create Rules Automatically". After first installing it is a bit daunting as it asks permission for many applications but read them carefully and after a while it will have asked all the question it wants.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds