DISE (PowerQuest Drive Image Special Edition) use

Discussion in 'Software' started by jschwisow, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jschwisow

jschwisow Private E-2

My notebook come with a factory installed DISE (PowerQuest Drive Image Special Edition) partition with an image of the original computer install configuration. I can use this DISE program to mirror my hard drive now that I have programs and data files installed on it. DISE will only write to the DISE partition and I just want to be sure that I am not over writing the original factory reinstall file. When I go to do the mirror it warns me that it will over write a previous mirror image, but I think that just means one that I have created and not the factory image? Following is a quote from the help screen:

"PowerQuest Drive Image SE (Special Edition) provides a way to restore your computer if you experience a hard disk crash or other system failure. Your computer manufacturer may have used PowerQuest Drive Image SE (Special Edition) to create an image of everything that was installed on the computer at the time you purchased it. If the manufacturer created a factory image, it is saved on a separate partition on the hard disk. You can use Drive Image SE to restore the factory image and return your computer to the state in which it shipped from the manufacturer.

Although it is not necessary, you can use Drive Image SE to store an additional image file that you create. For example, if you install several applications and save data files on your hard disk, you can create a new image file that includes both the applications and the data. You can then save that image file on the hard disk. If you experience a hard disk or system failure, you can restore the image that includes the applications and data files you use.

Copyright © 1999 PowerQuest Corporation. All Rights Reserved."

I just want to be certain I am not over writing the factory image.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It would help if we knew the brand and model of notebook.

3. jschwisow

jschwisow Private E-2

The notebook is a Fujitsu T3010D convertible PC Tablet. It has two partitions on the hard drive. The D partition is 3 GB of the 40 GB total and is only used for the DISE imaging. I didn't realize the type of notebook would affect how the software functioned.

4. plodr

Each manufacturer does imaging or recovery/restoring differently so I was not about to give you advice that might not pertain to your Fujitsu.
    Let me see what I can find out about your laptop.

So it would appear that the drive image you make will image the C: partition and either put the image on another partition on C: or an external hd, if you have that option. If you get the option to burn the image, I'd probably choose that as the safest.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. jschwisow

jschwisow Private E-2

Maybe I am being dense, but I am not clear on you reply.

The DISE factory installed image is on the D: partition of the C: drive.

The DISE program will allow me to do a mirror image of my C: drive with currently installed programs and data and it will only go to the same D: partition; no other option allowed by the program.

My question is, when I create the new image of my C: drive, will the factory installed image be over written?

From the second paragraph I quoted from the software help screen, I do not think it does over write the factory installed image. However when I go to do the mirror it warns me that it will over write a previous mirror image. But I think that just means one that I have created and not the factory image? Is this how the DISE program usually works, that it over writes a previous mirror image? I have never used an imaging program before.

6. plodr

If the only option you are getting is to write to D: then the program doesn't work like I was led to believe it did and it does sound like it overwrites what is already on D:
    If it will only write to D, then I'd say yes it appears that it overwrites what is on D:. It would make more sense if you could create the image anywhere but D:.

Unfortunately what is included on your Fujitsu is a Special Edition which means it doesn't act exactly like the full Drive Image Program.

7. E-Tramp

E-Tramp Private E-2

Just for your information, since I know that this is an old post, DISE is actually a PowerQuest program used by some manufacturers as a backup system. It does not overwrite the factory files but, creates an updated USER file that can be written from in the event of a catastrphic corruption of the OS. The factory files can be rewritten from as well as the user files. The designation of the Backup drive must be D:DISE_Backup, and it will not work if there is any other drive between the OS partition and the backup drive partition. It will also delete any other partitions on the same drive if the partition is not there when the original user or factory files were written. When the files for the program get too big for the backup drive to install updated files, the program will enlarge the drive partition as necessary to accommodate the files.

Also, this program runs in the BIOS part of the computer when it is rewriting the harddrive. The reason I found this posting is because my backup drive is giving an error when commanded to, either create backup files, or, rewrite the harddrive. I am looking for answers but, thought I would stop and clear up some questions that never got answered properly. The PowerQuest program is a good backup drive program, and compresses the files in the badkup drive unlike the native windows backup file, plus giving you the option of writing from two different time periods. Systemax used the PowerQuest software on their systems, as well as other OEMs. PowerQuest sold the rights to this software to Norton, and I believe that Norton still uses this software in their anti-virus suites, although I don't know that for sure. Hope this answers any questions of anyone else searching for answers about backup drives.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds