Disk cleanup not working, only have 14% free space left on harddrive!

Discussion in 'Software' started by GStam66, Sep 29, 2005.

1. GStam66

GStam66 Private First Class

A while back, I posted that my disk cleanup wasnt working correctly. It would get to the step of "Compressing Old Files", and then it would just sit there. When i hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, disk cleanup was still running (it said "running", instead of "Not Responding").

Someone here showed me how to make a batch file that would do what disk cleanup was supposed to do. It worked fine the first 2 or 3 times, but then it stopped working recently. I doubleclick the icon for the batch file, but nothing happens. THe mouse gets the litlle hourglass next to the pointer for a few seconds, then it stops, like nothing happened.

Is there another way to get disk cleanup to work again? I suddenly have 14% free space on my computer and i am getting very worried.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

You could try doing it manually. What OS do you have?

If you have XP all your temp files are in C:\documents and settings\yourname\local settings\

Make sure you have view hidden files enabled (tools>folder options>view). :)

3. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

how large is the drive

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

To get more space on your Hard drive, apart from deleting programs you no longer use, download, install and run these 3.

Cleaners.
    Download/install and run all 3. All are free and don't conflict with each other.

Each finds stuff the other 2 miss.

Cleanup! www.stevengould.org/

CrapCleaner, or CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

and EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575 ,

as a 3 pronged attack on stuff accumulated after every net session.

I have been using these 3, all FREE, for ages now. Each finds stuff the other 2 miss.

While checking out MG for an uninstall program, I came across

Cleanup! from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=990

This one you have to PAY $$$ for. Same title, even to the !, different program, different author, from the first link above.

Now I know why most MG 'ers install CCleaner, but not Cleanup! as they think they have to pay for it. I only found the shareware version on MG.

Download the free version, from the link to www.stevengould.org.

He has just released a new version (v4.0), as well. It keeps a running total of all files deleted, and space they took up.

Beware: Check out all the defaults, on each program, before you run them. They will clean out cookies, old URL history, etc. You may, or may not, want that to happen.
    Run Cleanup! first, then CC, then EmpTemp, as a standard procedure. Bazza

5. GStam66

i got windows XP, service pack 1

and my hard drive is 40 Gigs.

Ive had to delete a ton of stuff i dont use often (old saved files, etc) but it only freed up about 2 or 3 gigs.

The larges program that i have that i dont recall using much is some java program (has the little blue coffee cup with the reddish brown steam for an icon). It says "used occasionally", but i dont know if its safe to uninstall. I am not sure what programs need it to run.

but first i will try going through the documents and settings folder, then i will download the programs. How often should i use those programs?

6. silvius

silvius Private E-2

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248
    System restore points also take up space, also if you have a program like Google desktop search running, the indexing of files can take up space. Once you free up some space, after running chkdsk run the disk defragmenter, to prevent the drive from getting fragmented and causing sluggishness. If you have stuff like pics, etc u cud burn them on to CDs to make more room.

7. GStam66

Thanks! I deleted the compress old files folder, and diskcleanup worked perfectly! It did take about 5 minutes from start to finish, but it worked.

Thanks guys! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds