Disk consistency runs at reboot with multiboot system

Discussion in 'Software' started by capn_caveman, Apr 8, 2005.

1. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

All right. This is my first post so hello to all! I'll try not to make this too long, but I have sort of a strange problem with my pc. I have the following configuration:

Windows xp sp2 fully patched on both C: and D: drives (see below)

1 100 GB IDE HDD as primary master on motherboard integrated IDE controller this drive is labeled C:

2 160 GB IDE HDD on a PCI add-in RAID controller. These are in RAID 0 configuration labeled drive D:

PCI RAID controller is made by SIIG - has the latest drivers from the website

I recently reformatted all drives. I started by formatting the 100 gig drive (C:) and installing windows xp and patching the system. Then I formatted and installed xp on the RAID 0 drives. My default operating system is the raid 0 drives.

Now, when I boot directly to the D drive I do not have any problem. I can view and access data on the c: drive. However, when I boot into the c: drive, I get the error that some or more of my disks needs to be checked for consistency. I cancel this check for reasons I will explain. When the OS boots up, the computer recognizes that there is a D: drive, but when I try to access the information it says that the file system is corrupt. I am trying to figure out how I can access the information on the raid 0 array from my single HDD. Anyone know how this can be done?

Other annoying things happen with my raid 0 array. If disk check runs on boot before the OS loads, the operating system is completely gutted. It will boot partially to the desktop, but the majority of services are not available. System restore is dead. To fix this, the only option was to reformat. This is why I don't allow the disk consistency check to run right now at reboot - I'm afraid that running disk operations before the OS loads will crash the OS and the raid array. Any ideas on this problem?

I like my raid 0 because of the speed advantage I see. I don't like it because I've lost data due to disk operations being performed when windows is booting. Does anyone have any knowledge on these items that may shed some light on my problems? Or am I pretty much stuck?

Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds