disk defrager

Discussion in 'Software' started by diamonddave76, Mar 29, 2006.

1. diamonddave76

diamonddave76 Private E-2

I am looking for a free disk defrager that is good. What would you recommend??

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

3. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

From my experience diskeeper will substitute itself for the built in defragger. To use the XP defragger you'll have to uninstall Diskeeper.

4. acejones

acejones A Different Title

hmm...i've used both while both are installed

5. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

I just installed the 15 day trial again and the start menu shortcut to the XP defragger is missing and only the diskeeper icon works. When I uninstall Diskeeper the XP Defragger starts working again. The same thing happened last year when I tried Diskeeper.

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware Edition works for Win NT/2K/XP. During the installation process it gives you several options as to how you can install it; i.e. whether you want it to be your 'default' defragger or not. However it takes a lot longer to defrag the system than the already installed XP defragger.

For years I used the O&O Defrag 2000 freeware version because and it worked well for me on pre-XP computers. All of the defraggers that came with pre-XP Windows operating systems stunk to high heaven. They also took forever to accomplish the full defragmentation process [even if you performed a defrag regularly].

Although Diskeeper 7.0 freeware build 418 is compatible with XP and works much faster then O & O Defrag 2000 - I have found that the defragger that comes with XP is actually just as fast/efficient as the Diskeeper 7.0 freeware and the difference is unnoticable in my opinion.

Windows XP actually uses a stripped down version of Diskeeper 6 as it's default defragmenter. Diskeeper is a great product, it's too bad that Microsoft uses/included a very old version in Windows XP.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I also use Diskeeper Lite but someone from this site also recommended Pagedefrag: "PageDefrag, Copyright © 1998-2000 Mark Russinovich, www.sysinternals.com"

Available at this site. Cleans page filing system and Registry Hive and I use it from time to time.

8. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I thought Diskkeeper Lite is what comes with XP? I have tried a few different ones and they do not seem to do anything more than what XP's version does.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

From what I've read that is correct, sadly I can't remeber where (link, post, thread) but apparently it is v.6 and I believe a barebones version at that whereas you can obtain Diskeeper Lite v.7.1.xx from this site (free) and I believe it has a better engine and is overall, more efficient. XP adopted DK when XP first came out and I don't think they have updated it. I have certainly noted a significant difference in defrag times but I can't ascertain resource usage. Langa.com infers that the barebones version needs at least 15% of "free" HDD space to shuffle and tidy the filing system and then they both still don't take care of your page filing system or registry hive. Sorry it is a bit vague I can't provide the concise links at this current point but I will if I come across them in the future. You could certainly locate the XP Defrag app and right click > properties > version, to satisfy your own curiosity (mine has been overwritten by the later version I believe so I can't even ascertain this, sadly). Interested to know if you attain a more concise answer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds