Disk Drives Won't Read Any Media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eXtreme_4orce, Oct 20, 2008.

1. eXtreme_4orce

eXtreme_4orce Private E-2

Hello, I'm new here to MajorGeeks Forums. I've come here with a problem with my computer. Here's the specs:

Dell Dimension 1100
    Windows XP SP2
    512 MB RAM
    Intel Celeron D Processor
    80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
    Lite-On DVD-RAM/CD RW
    TSST Corp. CD RW (Factory Disc Drive)

My problem is this: Neither my DVD-RW or CD-RW will read any media whatsoever. My DVD-RW will still burn DVD/CD discs, but nothing else. The CD-RW does nothing, not even burning discs.

I have checked in Device Manager, and checked the Properties for each drive, but each states there is no problem with either drive. I have also uninstalled them, then rebooted the computer to reinstall them, as they are Plug-&-Play, but nothing changes. I have checked the BIOS settings, also to no avail. I have checked the cable connections to each drive, and tried each separately, with again, no change. I have changed the SLAVE and MASTER settings, and back, to again, no change at all. And, every time I have rebooted, a message appears, stating that "File C:\WINDOWS\is-ET730.exe is missing."

Any research I have done, including looking around here on these forums, have produced nothing of my specific problem, with absolutely no results period for the "is-ET730.exe" problem, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I looked in my WINNT folder ( I run windows 2000 and has that instead of a Windows folder). I found three files that start with is- so I looked to see what they were. It turns out that mine are associated with Fresh Download. Go into your windows folder and see if you have something like is-ET730.log. If you do open it in wordpad so we can see what program this is associated with.

As far as the CD burner not reading and not writing, maybe the laser died. It could still appear as operational even if it is broken.

What burning software do you use?

3. eXtreme_4orce

eXtreme_4orce Private E-2

As it turns out, the "is-ET730.exe" file was associated with a program not associated with my disc drives (PeerGuardian2), which has since been uninstalled and cleaned up, so that's not a problem to worry about.

As for the drives not reading, I should have mentioned that they began doing this at the same time, and have the same symptoms, minus the DVD-RAM drive still being able to burn. Also, this began only about 3 days ago, when just an hour before it began, both drives worked just fine. I'm pretty sure that it's a different, and possibly more difficult/deeper problem than just the lasers simply quitting on me.

And as for burning software, I use Ultimate CD-DVD Burner 3.0, which is simply an executable, and doesn't require install. However, the problem began before I began using it, and the previous program I used (Free Easy CD-DVD Burner v. 2.1) was uninstalled (It began corrupting files being burned to disc for no reasons I could figure out, but that's a separate issue) about 2 days before this happened. I have suspected that, possibly, I accidentally deleted something along with that program that affected the drives, but would think that the problem would have been more immediate, and not have manifested itself 2 days after an uninstall. I just have no idea, and am at a total loss right now.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only thing I can think of is to read through and try this
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145532

I'm wondering why Free Easy CD-DVD started corrupting files. There might be something else going on.

I have never used either of these burning programs so I can't tell you what to try in them specifically.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

So your drive won't read the dvd it just burned?

6. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

You may try downloading and running the burn-in test (google burn in test, it's passmark's website). This will make narrow down hardware or software problems. Just make sure a CD with data on it is in the drive before running the test, and you may want to disable floppy drive testing in the options page.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

cant hurt to see if you can update the chipset drivers as well...I know it's a stretch, but anytime i've had or seen problems with optical drives they are either software related (see microsoft's roxio cd creater explanation) or Hardware (motherboard/ide channel problem). updating the chipset drivers won't hurt, and may replace something that was inadvertently deleted

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Ex,

First should have been to remove the CDs from System manager, reboot and see if Windoze will fix your problem. Works for most any driver. Reading and burning are usually two different drivers. Never beleive Sys Mgr when it says all is well. Too often it is incorrect.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds