"Disk read error" on boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tarwedge, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

Hi there,

I've got a machine currently that throws up a "disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message on post. I've swapped out the IDE cables, I've run an error check on the disk by plugging it into another machine and all of this yields no results. The files are accessable on the other machine, and shows no problems with the hard drive.

As a last resource I could format the drive and see if its just a windows thing but im willing to try almost anything else beforehand.

Thanks.

2. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

It seems that this problem is caused by sharing your Hard disk with CD ROM on the same IDE cable.

When connecting HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD etc. to your computer you should follow these standards.

1)Don’t connect a HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD to the same IDE port.

2)Connect the HD to IDE 1 and Connect the CDROM/CDRW/DVD to IDE 2 unless you have an SATA HD then you can connect the CDROM/CDRW/DVD to IDE 1 but still never connect a HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD on the same IDE port.

3)When setting jumpers on HD and CDROM/CDRW/DVD drive always set the master to “MASTER ONLY” and the slave to “SLAVE”.
    NEVER CHOOSE “MASTER W/ SLAVE (even if you have a slave)” or “CABLE SELECT” or “32 GB LIMIT”.

Hope this helps

3. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

I tried this whilst switching the IDE cables around, it wont boot even if its the only device connected to the machine so I don't think its the optical drives interfering.

4. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

Is it a Maxtor Drive - they have had problems the first read sector causing this problem?

5. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

Yes its a Maxtor Diamondmax. How do I fix it, and will it just happen again if I do?

6. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

7. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Private E-2

8. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

I tried seatols in the windows version before and that came back clean with no errors. I'll try the iso

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds